Home Technical Talk

How to tile a photogrammetry ground source?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
How can you tile a texture ground created with photogrammetry?

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Processing via using substance designer is probably your best bet
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0TaRbtE4xU
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Nice thankyou I will take a look I have Sbustance but not alchemist :/...
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Substance Designer has only pretty useless  smart tiling  similar to "detect edges" in Alchemist .  ( 7:11  in the second video)

As of  Alchemist it has a few promising features  like Content aware fill (9:47)  and clone    but  I never found it really helpful .  They  both deteriorate  somewhat natural look of photogrammetry scanned things. It's just not that apparent in this  pebbles example  but I always see that weird looking seam masking areas  when the lighting is tangent  and you instantly see every issue with your normal map.

And I strongly suggest against using any excessive cloning  to mask repeating  patterns.  More you do so less natural  the result looks.  You losses the main advantage of  photogrammetry  ,  instantly real look unmatched by any procedural thing.   It's often still  necessary although  but  Alchemist provides little ways to do so subtly with full and exact control of what you are doing.  

In some way I find  Alchemist even less convenient to work with than Substance Designer  since  you usually fight with the software  non stop.      It never does what you want , never provides you enough control .

For a year a company I work for paid for Artomatix Art engine which imo has better trained AI than Alchemist, better working content aware fill  for seams,   better "mutation" kind of re-shuffle technique to hide repeating patterns while still maintaining  that natural look pf photogrammetry  sources.

But in the end it had been the same issue. You rather fight with the soft AI  which never does what you want it to do.  We unsubscribed because I found myself  using more  just old good  patch tool in Photoshop to work on Height channel  + recorded action to recreate same job on color channel.

Now I am using Affinity Photo , its patch tool has an advantage of rotating and scaling patches on the fly so you could squeeze exact detail to match neighboring ones on a seam edges .  Plus it has a nice MAcro recording panel for repeating your work on color image  , better than Photoshop action panel too. 

I suggest patching om height channel first  and then play the macro/action on color image after .   It's easier to hipass off  the color channel quirks  than height ones.   Also fill the areas you gonna patch on  with solidify filter first . Never do it on something too contrast or transparent.

It's weird nobody did a simple and convenient  tool  so you could re-compose  fragments live and  on your own.   Without recording anything .  It's somewhat possible to do in Substance Painter and Mari   but oh boy  , it's so monstrously inconvenient  in both of them. 

Sp far AI things are rather disappointing in image/texture  editing  soft IMO
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Allows to patch normal , color , roughness, ao etc at the same time?