Home Career & Education

Pre-Industry Artist (help!)

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hey guys. If you would be so kind, I need some advice. So recently after doing some self-search, I figure that I want to be working in the game industry. I'm totally new to this thing, I don't know much about a good position that's right for me as an artist. I used to do realistic portrait study for fan arts but that was just it. It didn't score me a job. So since I'm currently still searching for what's right for me; texture artist, environment, character artist, I might just go with 2D artist which is more general (?). I have prop designs, 2D texture, character design, paint over in my portfolio. I think I'll start by applying for works in an indie game industries overseas. I also watch videos in Artstation about career and advice. What's your opinion about this? I'm still new to this community and have no connections to other game artists who can give me advice, so maybe posting here is a start. Thank you!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Show us your portfolio.  We can't make a judgment call about what you're good at without a portfolio.

• Ripples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends what you enjoy... have you tried 3D? If so did you enjoy it? Did you feel like it’s something you could learn? If you prefer 2D then there’s always a demand for concept artists. Looking at your behave you have some nicely executed paintings but they are essentially copies of other images - I couldn’t find any props designs etc. To break into 2D design/concept art you need to show what your imagination is capable of, and demonstrate you can effectively communicate that visually. As with anything it’s all about market research at this stage. Look across ArtStation, try to identify the type of work you want to do then look at the people who are successful in that field. Look for interviews with them, tutorials from them etc. Then build and tailor your portfolio accordingly. Don’t make the mistake of blindly applying to places or roles without first understanding what is required. I see so many people getting disheartened that they can’t break into the industry, when one look at their work shows they’ve not done basic research. Good luck!
  • JeRayhatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ripples said:
    Depends what you enjoy... have you tried 3D? If so did you enjoy it? Did you feel like it’s something you could learn? If you prefer 2D then there’s always a demand for concept artists. Looking at your behave you have some nicely executed paintings but they are essentially copies of other images - I couldn’t find any props designs etc. To break into 2D design/concept art you need to show what your imagination is capable of, and demonstrate you can effectively communicate that visually. As with anything it’s all about market research at this stage. Look across ArtStation, try to identify the type of work you want to do then look at the people who are successful in that field. Look for interviews with them, tutorials from them etc. Then build and tailor your portfolio accordingly. Don’t make the mistake of blindly applying to places or roles without first understanding what is required. I see so many people getting disheartened that they can’t break into the industry, when one look at their work shows they’ve not done basic research. Good luck!
    Sorry for the late reply! Thank you first of all. Yes, I've actually made a mistake applying blindly with a messy portfolio from college. No wonder it didn't get me a job. I've tried 3D sculpting, I kind of into it. But that's not what I'm good at. It takes time to master 3D modeling or sculpting, the time I don't have because I want to get a job soon. So I'm going for what I can do best, which is 2D. Your advice about ArtStation is truly helpful :) I've been building my portfolio accordingly for a while now. Thank you very much!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message