Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post Apocalyptic Ice Cream Parlor (looking for critique)

Hi everyone!,

I've been working on this piece for a while now and i would love to get some critique on it to further improve it! :)
I really appreciate every feedback i get and i hope you like it so far!

Thank you so much in advance!

many greetings,
Martin

Replies

• Martin_Martschenko
    Iv'e decided to add 2 more pictures which shows the Base Color and the Roughness to give you a more in depth look into the scene :)

Base Color:

Roughness:

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    So, a few thoughts:

It's clearly well-done. It looks good. No real fault with the props themselves, to my eye.

Some scale feels a little strange, especially with the workbench, to me. I looked up measurements for a 200 round 7.62mm ammo box, and it seems most are 11" long by 7" tall 3-3/4"wide, yours are looking big and wide to me. I can't quite place what makes the rest of the scene feel oddly scaled, but I feel it.

And last, it doesn't quite read as an icecream parlor to me. Feels a bit like a nondescript storage room with a couple of old refrigerators, etc, in it. It could be worth bringing in some more icecream parlor things, like signs, or customer seating, or bright lighting coming in from the glass storefront. Maybe a giant cast icecream cone trash-bin, maybe an old tips jar. Just things to strengthen the theme and move it further away from being nondescript.
  • Martin_Martschenko
    Joopson said:
    So, a few thoughts:

It's clearly well-done. It looks good. No real fault with the props themselves, to my eye.

Some scale feels a little strange, especially with the workbench, to me. I looked up measurements for a 200 round 7.62mm ammo box, and it seems most are 11" long by 7" tall 3-3/4"wide, yours are looking big and wide to me. I can't quite place what makes the rest of the scene feel oddly scaled, but I feel it.

And last, it doesn't quite read as an icecream parlor to me. Feels a bit like a nondescript storage room with a couple of old refrigerators, etc, in it. It could be worth bringing in some more icecream parlor things, like signs, or customer seating, or bright lighting coming in from the glass storefront. Maybe a giant cast icecream cone trash-bin, maybe an old tips jar. Just things to strengthen the theme and move it further away from being nondescript.
    Thank you so much for your answer i really appreciate it! That's awesome critique especially about the scale you mentioned i definitely need to work on that.
    About the theme i should have mentioned that i work from an Concept Art my fault, sorry about that :D But since i already pretty much drived a bit away of the Concept Art it wouldn't hurt to add some things you mentioned like the tips jar and the cone trash bin and also make the sign i made next to the door more visible i'll definitely gonna work on that too :)
    Thanks again!

Here is also the Concept Art from an other Artist Ivan Martinez:

• Martin_Martschenko
    Hello everyone!,

I hope you had an awesome day, here's the latest prop i worked on today, I hope you like it! feedback and critique is always appreciated :)

• Martin_Martschenko
    Hello everyone!,

after i got some more amazing critique i made some adjustments to the ice cream trash-bin and the result now looks way better, I also modelled a small blackboard which will be on the ground :)

I hope you love the progress so far :) If you have any more ideas what i could add to the Environment feel free to write it down, I highly appreciate it! :)

many greetings,
    Martin
  • Martin_Martschenko
    Hello everyone!,

I hope you had an awesome day so far, Iv'e been adjusting my scene further like fixing the scale, fixing where the grass is growing, adding a couple more props and changing a little bit the lighting. If you have any more feedback on the scene i would highly appreciate it :)

• Martin_Martschenko
    Hello Polycount!,

I just finished the Environment it has been an amazing experience and i learned a lot, I hope you like to result!
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/d86KJW