Home Career & Education

Question about where to study?

kod
kod
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
kod
greetings,

I'm still learning 3d modeling animation on maya and zbrush and i will start soon learning houdini for vfx and i love it, now my problem is that i live in the middle east and there is no jobs for this field or even close to it and if u find one the payment is lower than working in mcDonalds.

So if i need to find job in the future when i have portfolio anywhere outside the middle east EU or US or canada, i need visa + degree.
Now my country have 1 school and it cost 50797.87$ USD for 1 year only.

My question is there any official university or diploma degree that i can i take online that will help me in the future to get jobs outside? bcs the only stuff i find online is small courses or 1 year course for one subject and i don't think this consider as degree... or do i accept the truth and study another major in my country like cs programming and forget about the 3D for good.

Replies

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    There are good online courses, but you need to find one based on who you want to become in the industry. Is it character art or maybe environment? This will dictate what course to follow.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    No, the one year program wouldn't be considered a degree for immigration purposes. I'd suggest you get a degree in computer science while continuing to teach yourself VFX from online resources. You'll get your degree for immigrating, and programming skills are very handy for a VFX artist. You'd also potentially be well qualified for some R&D positions related to VFX, if that's something that interests you.

Another possibility would be to apply for a student via (generally much easier to get than a work visa) and study VFX in some other country.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    There's also a potential alternative offered where I live, which is online open university learning:
  • kod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kod
    Zi0 said:
    There are good online courses, but you need to find one based on who you want to become in the industry. Is it character art or maybe environment? This will dictate what course to follow.
    sadly courses don't considered as degree to get a job outside my country.
  • kod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kod
    Meloncov said:
    No, the one year program wouldn't be considered a degree for immigration purposes. I'd suggest you get a degree in computer science while continuing to teach yourself VFX from online resources. You'll get your degree for immigrating, and programming skills are very handy for a VFX artist. You'd also potentially be well qualified for some R&D positions related to VFX, if that's something that interests you.

Another possibility would be to apply for a student via (generally much easier to get than a work visa) and study VFX in some other country.
    Good idea and info thank you.
  • kod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kod
    sacboi said:
    There's also a potential alternative offered where I live, which is online open university learning:
    i will take a look, thank you.