Home Marmoset

Marmoset Toolbag 4 Transparency issues

Hi all, new to toolbag and wondered if anyone could help me solve an issue im having with ray traced transparency? Just doing some tests trying to learn the app and im getting some weird stuff happen when i add transparency to a material being previewed / rendered with ray tracing.

Ive taken some screen grabs here (forgive me if theyre too big etc- new to the forum as well) and wondered if anyone had any ideas as to whats happening. Ive got a basic crappy obj and a roughly draped cloth over it, the cloth has cull back faces off. This happens with any material but only under raytraced. Light hitting the folds behind the model appear through the statue obj in places. On the first pic im using the default burlap- no transparency should be showing at all..

On this second pic you can see ive used a simple material with a transparency on cutout, but it makes no difference to the problem if its on dither. On this you can really see the reflected light creating a 'v' in the fold behind the statue and that is clearly visable though the statue itself? (and no, ive checked- its not light on folds at the front ;) ) Any ideas what this is- im sure ive got a setting wrong somewhere, ive tried using the albedo alpha channel and also created a plain image file to use seperately, no difference.

Lastly, and this is a different problem, anyone know how i can stop this from happening when i get too close to the model? I know its a clipping issue and again- only happens in raytracing, but cant find anything about it online nor how to sort it in the settings for the camera / render!

Any help would be appreciated, cant figure the transparency out or find anything similar online (maybe due to MT4 only just being available?), i would rather not have to do a draft render and raytraced and do some compositing as i know this shouldnt be happening :D

Thanks again!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the report. I'm not sure why these issues are happening, can you tell me:

• What operating system you're using
    • What GPU you're using
    • What video driver version you have (if not the latest, try update)
  • tomwanted
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the report. I'm not sure why these issues are happening, can you tell me:

• What GPU you're using

Thanks very much for getting back to me, of course, im on Mac Catalina, 10.15.7,  GPU is AMD Radeon pro 5700 XT 16GB, 64gb ram, 10-core i9, EFI Driver Version: 01.01.231.

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tomwanted said:

• What GPU you're using

Thanks very much for getting back to me, of course, im on Mac Catalina, 10.15.7,  GPU is AMD Radeon pro 5700 XT 16GB, 64gb ram, 10-core i9, EFI Driver Version: 01.01.231.

Great, thanks. Would it be possible to get a copy of this scene to debug? The easiest way is to go to File > Export > Scene Bundle and zip up the .tbscene and /assets/ folder. You can PM me a link here or email to joe@marmoset.co.
  • cturbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cturbo node
    I have the same issue, when you zoom up close it is yellow noise. Do you know what the issue was Jo or Tom? I am using iMac Bg Sur 11.2.3 

• tomwanted
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @cturbo sorry for the slow response, unfortunately no- still have the same issues. Getting too close to any object gives me a similar effect (mine is green), and ive discovered that the issue i thought was due to transparency in ray tracing is actually on any model- regardless of any transparency settings.

Effectively i cant use ray tracing at all and ive had Toolbag 4 crash so many times now ive pretty much stopped using it. One of those 'mac issues'... pretty bummed as its a great app and it left a reasonable hole in the wallet :'( Let me know if you manage to find a solution!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have had some difficulty reproducing this issue but plan to try it on different hardware to see if we can trigger it. If we're able to reproduce it we'll be able to investigate a possible fix for the problem.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: we've fixed this in our internal build. This fix will be included in the next update, Toolbag 4.03.
  • tomwanted
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the update @EarthQuake looking forward to 4.03!
  • WorkOfShields
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WorkOfShields polycounter lvl 6
    @EarthQuake I’m having the exact same issues and am also on a Mac. Do you have any idea when the update will be out? I was using it last week with no issues until today. 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake I’m having the exact same issues and am also on a Mac. Do you have any idea when the update will be out? I was using it last week with no issues until today. 
    Sorry, we don't have an ETA on 4.03 yet but we're working on wrapping up this release at the moment. 4.03 is a fairly significant update so we will likely post an early build to our tester group, which you can join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/155052679279363

This issue happens when you're using transparency on Mac, so if you have a scene that doesn't have transparent materials, you may not run into it. If you have access to a PC I would recommend using that in the mean time. If you don't we can issue a license of Toolbag 3 for you to use until 4.03 is ready as well. Please email support@marmoset.co if you need a TB3 license.