Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned German Coffee Shop

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
praesidenter greentooth
Hey there, 

I started a new project during the holidays and want to share my progress with you. Feedback is also very appreciated!
The scene's focus will be a small coffee shop based on an existing one in my hometown which I haven't been visiting for quite some time now (for obvious reasons).
To challenge myself I want to try to make it look like no human has been there for many, many years, as I haven't really completed any post-apocalyptic / abandoned scenes before.

Here's my reference board with pictures of the real place:

I'm almost done with finishing the main structures of the building and loaded it into Unity for a quick look. Next I'll tackle everyone's favorite task and do the UVs.

Replies

• praesidenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praesidenter greentooth

UVs and most of the building textures are done now and I also made a height-based blending shader. I'll refine the vertex painting later, but will now move on to modeling a bit of the surrounding area. Would love some C&C!
  • praesidenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praesidenter greentooth
    Short update with some of the surrounding area. Btw if anyone is interested - while doing research I discovered that someone had created a 360° panorama picture right in front of the coffee shop that I'm basing this environment on (unfortunately we don't have street view for my city, so this is really valuable for me! ): 
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3309297,6.561604,3a,74.9y,37.14h,104.68t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAF1QipMVs6AlNzYguZ6LAP353-Iz81-BuAAiZaEWHZzD!2e10!3e11!7i13312!8i6656

• praesidenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praesidenter greentooth
    Thanks for the front page!

Worked on some damage inside the coffee shop so it looks nastier. I'm also constantly playing with the lighting. It's less dramatic now, but I quite like the dim look it has. Aside from that I added a few props - the car is from an older project though, I just added a post-apocalypse-pass ;)  

• Jacob Lubinski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacob Lubinski polycounter lvl 7
    Wow! I love the feel. Think it just needs more "stuff" inside, props or broken furniture, or rubble. Overall though - beautiful.
  • praesidenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praesidenter greentooth
    Wow! I love the feel. Think it just needs more "stuff" inside, props or broken furniture, or rubble. Overall though - beautiful.
    Thanks! Yes, more furniture and some more other details like signs on the outside is what I was doing today. Still need some more stuff though, and I want to add one or two more types of plants for the ground, the grass alone looks a bit repetitive I think.

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master

Looks good, Maybe push the lighting even more on the last shot?, it feels very dark, and "flat". Also are your foliage using normals? SSS? Cause that could push the scene even more. And i do agree, there's debris and pile of dirt missing =). You're on the right path!
  • praesidenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praesidenter greentooth
    The foliage has both, normal maps and SSS, it might not show that much, because most of it is in the shadows?
    Where I think you're definitely right is the lighting inside which was indeed very flat and dull. Hard to balance exterior and interior lighting. I tried to work on this a little bit, but I might have to dial the light in the middle back a bit, as it's coming from seemingly nowhere and also bleeds onto the ceiling? Not sure, would love to hear opinions on this.
    I also switched from Unity's own lightmapper to Bakery and it's an incredible difference in both speed and quality!

Other than that I made a new background building for on end of the street.

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    The outside is very noisy. Lots of stuff and on top of that there are sharp shadows making the whole thing kinda unpleasant to look at.
    The areas in shadow should be a lot darker or the light patches should be a lot brighter imo.
  • praesidenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praesidenter greentooth
    teodar23 said:
    The outside is very noisy. Lots of stuff and on top of that there are sharp shadows making the whole thing kinda unpleasant to look at.
    The areas in shadow should be a lot darker or the light patches should be a lot brighter imo.

Your're right, the harsh shadows were a big problem, thanks for pointing that out. I decided to ditch the sunny afternoon look entirely and go into a different direction. I also tried to better guide the viewer to the coffee shop.

• Jacob Lubinski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very beautiful. Just keeps getting better and better.
  • praesidenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praesidenter greentooth
    Very beautiful. Just keeps getting better and better.
    Thanks! 
    __

Revisited the trees / bushes and added some variety to the smaller foliage

I'm also quite happy now with the interior lighting, but the whole room still needs to be a lot dirtier / messier. I was thinking of a lot of dirt / leak / rubble decals and more stuff lying on the floor + the vertex painting needs to be finished, but I'm open to other ideas!

There's also this new building: 

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Love the new direction and lighting updates. Looks dope! I'd love to see a little more silhouette on the buildings though. I've never been a fan of 3D scenes with the sky blown out, scene needs skybox/sky solution to work...
  • praesidenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praesidenter greentooth
    Love the new direction and lighting updates. Looks dope! I'd love to see a little more silhouette on the buildings though. I've never been a fan of 3D scenes with the sky blown out, scene needs skybox/sky solution to work...
    I kinda liked the blown out look, but I created an overcast skybox and kept it. So now I have some subtle hints of clouds when I look into the sky. Thanks for the suggestion!

Then I worked a bit on the exterior lighting and made it a little darker and increased the contrast between light and dark parts. Not sure if I like it better than the previous version, I'll might go with something in between in the end.
    I also added a lot of dirt and trash to the interior which will hopefully make it look a lot more like it's been completely abandoned for many years now.

Here's a quick test of the scene in motion:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBcgyHHXlfk

• Jacob Lubinski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Sorry for the late reply, but wow.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    THIS LEVELED UP! Awesome!
  • Polynaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaught polycounter lvl 11

Late to the party, great piece of an overgrown city.

Care to elaborate on your bakery settings and what you used for the volumetric fog/godrays?

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

Great stuff man!

• satforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    satforce polycounter lvl 4

This is just amazing man. Maybe you can add extra nighttime scenario. But overall I am very impressed with the progress you done so far.

keep it up

• David_MC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Great stuff! So cool to see the progress! Only thing that can be tweaked a bit is foliage,just to give more variation, that green looks a bit flat, but it is a small thing, good job!