Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Froggo || Stylized Character

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello there!

I tried myself on an animal-themed character and I chose a frog for this.
For practicing the whole workflow I want to create the character from the concept to the finished model with game-ready topology.
My goal is the finished character with handpainted textures.

This pic shows my current status of the project. Here you can see I made the sheat for the sword and added a little "cape", the trousers and "shoes". More updates are coming the next days :)

The process so far:
First of all, I start making a reference board in PureRef so I have all my inspirations at one point and won't lose them. In the beginning, it's mostly anatomy and clothing/armor references and some texture and color inspirations. After collecting these, I make the concept art.

I just draw the important shapes and experiment with them to find a decent look for the character. This is what I come off with for Froggo. Sometimes I change or add things while I work at the blockout, but I do this only with personal projects.
Because I couldn't use any of my base meshes from other projects I needed to make a new one for this project. For this I used the ZSpheres in Zbrush and shaped out the rough form of the body except for the head, the head was added as a separate sphere so I can work on it with more details without going to high in the polycount. Here is how the base mesh looks like:

I imported the mesh into Maya and blocked out the clothing/armor parts so I work on them later in Zbrush. (The scarf was added later)

In Zbrush I tweaked the blockout a little bit and added subdivisions.
At this point, I mostly worked on the folds and the details of all the things. I had the idea to add a leaf on his head, just for the aesthetic.

I created a rope insert brush for the belt and added a crystal. The shoulder pads were polished and the leaf got more details. For the legs and the shoulders I made leather straps to "hold them in place". After this it was about making the blockout for the sword.

It's nothing super complex, just some simple shapes with a boolean in the blade to make the round hole. I also imported it into Zbrush to start the high poly from it.

Mostly I thought about a more organic form and details of the sword because it better fits the froggo. My idea was to make the handle looks like some root grew over it and took over the sword and holds it together.

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The first image of the first post you make in this forum gets used as a preview image in the forum index. If you are making a wip thread then it is a good idea to use the last image of your progress and keep it updated in the first post. You can make a second post to include your mood board and then successive posts to include your progress. Its a good idea to keep your images at 72 dpi to stop them taking forever to load.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    That is already a cute character, good job!

I like the idea with the leaf on his head, that could be held by a smaller rope as well. The stylized look is pretty cool, I think you can push it even further by scaling up his hands and feet ( maybe 25% will be enough) 

His sword looks interesting too, I like the round booled design, but I think will it fit perfectly into the sheath without getting stuck because of the shape of the blade  =)

Anyway, keep it up I want to see more!!
  • Gravitazya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    The first image of the first post you make in this forum gets used as a preview image in the forum index. If you are making a wip thread then it is a good idea to use the last image of your progress and keep it updated in the first post. You can make a second post to include your mood board and then successive posts to include your progress. Its a good idea to keep your images at 72 dpi to stop them taking forever to load.
    Oh thank you for the tip! I'm kinda new to this forum and I still try to understand the format ^^ I thought the pictures were small enough because they are just screenshots but I will replace them. 
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    I really dig the direction, but the sword does not right now look like a root is branching around it. The shape is a bit to unstructured and reads more like clay.
  • Gravitazya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is already a cute character, good job!

I like the idea with the leaf on his head, that could be held by a smaller rope as well. The stylized look is pretty cool, I think you can push it even further by scaling up his hands and feet ( maybe 25% will be enough) 

His sword looks interesting too, I like the round booled design, but I think will it fit perfectly into the sheath without getting stuck because of the shape of the blade  =)

Anyway, keep it up I want to see more!!
    Thank you for the kind words! I will consider the feedback and try out some things ^^
    I really dig the direction, but the sword does not right now look like a root is branching around it. The shape is a bit to unstructured and reads more like clay.
    I see what you mean, I'm still working on the sword because I'm still not satisfied by the current result, mostly by the wooden texture you can barely see. Thx!
  • Bobby_the_Goblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Looks great, really love the style :) I understand the colours are probably not finalised yet, but just as some advice prior to texuring, I'd advise to try and keep the colours simple and not too many. The design so far looks great with the simple style, so it would be good to keep that style in the colours.

Keep going, really looking forward to seeing the finished product :)

• Gravitazya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Looks great, really love the style :) I understand the colours are probably not finalised yet, but just as some advice prior to texuring, I'd advise to try and keep the colours simple and not too many. The design so far looks great with the simple style, so it would be good to keep that style in the colours.

Keep going, really looking forward to seeing the finished product :)

Thank you! I just different MatCaps in Zbrush so it's easier for my eye and just to experiment with the colors to see how it will kinda looks ^^ I will keep that in mind when I start the texturing!

For now I added a little purse/bag at the back of the belt so the connection seam is not visible anymore. 

At the moment I'm finished with the retopo and going to UV unwrap this little guy. (on the right side you can see the bag at the belt)
  • Gravitazya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a break for my Bachelor work, I finished the UVs of the lil guy. Next step is going to bake the Occlusion and start painting!