Home Technical Talk

[Maya plug-in] My Procedural Trees Generator (node-based)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Rayterex polycounter lvl 5
Hello guys. I've been working on this app for quite some time now. I will probably share the tool in the next couple of months. I don't have any experience in the industry so any feedback would be appreciated.

Youtube demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU7JdegwsHU

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks grest do far.

Though it seems like it runs inside Maya? Would be good to put this in the title, to attract Maya users, which I'm not unfortunately.

• Rayterex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks grest do far.

Though it seems like it runs inside Maya? Would be good to put this in the title, to attract Maya users, which I'm not unfortunately.

Thanks. I've edited the title of the topic.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Would it be possible to recreate those plugin in Bifrost? It would be much more usefull if it could be combined with the rest of the Bifrost world.
  • Rayterex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    Would it be possible to recreate those plugin in Bifrost? It would be much more usefull if it could be combined with the rest of the Bifrost world.
    Unfortunately no. I wrote every node from scratch without using any Maya utils. This has some advantages for me. Like, nodes for creating and editing images and textures are already available as standalone application: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-0ew6xenIw  . I had to do it like this. Maya is very old and slow software that is not meant for procedural generation. 

For instance. This small script, that creates basic 10.000 planes runs almost 11 seconds on my laptop
    import maya.cmds
    import time

start_time = time.time()
    for i in range(10000): cmds.polyPlane(sx = 1, sy = 1, h = 1, w = 1)
    print time.time() - start_time

That is extremely slow. I had to make everything much faster. Now, I can make game ready trees, with many more polys in a fragment of that time.

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Bifrost is a visual Programming Framework. Its brand new. If your tool would run inside it would be much more usefull to others.
    Just saying.