Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) Colmar Christmas Market

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
Hi, all,

Decided to start a new scene after a few days of pondering on what I should do next.

This is currently pretty early but I hope to make this blockout make look interesting.

Replies

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Todays progress, gonna be updating this all day

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Todays progress:

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought it was appropriate to add one last pic to this thread of a version without people, also kinda like it!

• JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I like the mood of the scene so far. It needs more set dressing, but I'm guessing you're still working on that part. The addition of the Jewish Star of David to your Christmas market is an interesting choice, but cool. (Maybe it's a multi-holiday theme?) 
    There is one thing I think could be improved though. The lighting from the carnival booths is leaking through the roofs, and highlighting the roof tiles in an unnatural way. I also think their volumetric scattering intensity is too high (Too much fog scatter).
    One last thing, I think the cobble stone with snow and ice could be glossier so you can get some cool reflections form the carnival booths. 
    Just my opinions though. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the mood of the scene so far. It needs more set dressing, but I'm guessing you're still working on that part. The addition of the Jewish Star of David to your Christmas market is an interesting choice, but cool. (Maybe it's a multi-holiday theme?) 
    There is one thing I think could be improved though. The lighting from the carnival booths is leaking through the roofs, and highlighting the roof tiles in an unnatural way. I also think their volumetric scattering intensity is too high (Too much fog scatter).
    One last thing, I think the cobble stone with snow and ice could be glossier so you can get some cool reflections form the carnival booths. 
    Just my opinions though. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
    Thanks a lot for great feedback, JamesBrisnehan ! I honestly dont know how to set dress it more though (maybe you could please suggest a thing or two if you could of course please), im thinking of making similar roofs as you in yoir italian village (although that would be deviating from the reference) , are you sure about the star?  I just pulled it from some reference, I didnt know it was jewish, are you sure it is? Looks like a standart christmas star to me haha

Here is some edits that Ive done, since I couldnt get rid of the weird light leak on the roof of the booths I just added snow to cover it up. The less rough ground is cool but I think it might be taking away your attention from the rest of the picture maybe a bit too much, still playing around with it and updating this post.

Here is also a second pic

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message

Added background mountains, not sure how appropriate they are for the this project though..

Also this just needs a coca cola truck

• JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I'm no expert on symbolism, so I may be wrong, but I think a star's meaning depends on it's number of points (at least in U.S. culture). The 5 sided star seems to be the most basic/generic/popular and is used for everything from the Dallas Cowboys (American Football team) to Lucky Charms (breakfast Cereal). If a five point star is upside-down though, many people then view it as Satanic in meaning. I think an eight-point elongated star specifically represents the "Christmas Star" referenced in the biblical story of Jesus and the 3 wise men. Whenever I see a six point star it's in connection with Judaism or Hanukkah. I think it's called the "Star of David" and it's featured on Israel's national flag. The six-point star you have is turned 30 degrees compared to the star of David, so it might have a totally different meaning.
    My perception though, (possibly skewed by living in the U.S.) is that the 8pt. star represents 'religious Christmas', the 5pt. star represents 'capitalist Christmas' (among other things), and the 6pt. star represents Judaism. 

As for set dressing, it's really up to you. If you want to lean into the Christmas theme more, you could add decorated trees and foliage, garland draped over the stands, and even more decorative lights. You could even add giant plastic candy canes, a sleigh full of fake presents, or even a blow-up Santa balloon (although that might be a bit too Mall-of-America for a European market scene). More decorations of some sort.
    Maybe you could add more market themed props, like more shops and items being sold, more seating areas, trash cans, or maybe entertainment displays (like a stage with instruments, fold-up chairs, and a sign that says "Back in 5 minutes")
    I just feel like your scene needs a little extra something, but I'm not sure what. It feels a little empty to me in the shot without robot men everywhere. The foreground in particular feels a bit too empty to me. If you want to keep the robot people in the scene for the composition you could build a story around it. Add props to show what a sci-fi robot holiday might look like. Perhaps taking inspiration from "Futurama" or "Detroit: Become Human".
    Whatever you decide (if you decide) to add more further set dressing, good reference is key.

That's weird that the light is still leaking through the roof. It looks like shadows are on. Is the roof mesh one sided? Is the light scaled up too large and clipping through the roof model? Have you tried rectangle lights or an emissive material instead of a light? 
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan, thanks a lot for taking the time to write a lot of feedback, I really appreciate it! I will definetly get to the star thing pretty soon as for ther trashcans, yes thats what this place I feel like is missing. Will definetly give the candy canes a go as well!

Thanks again for writting all of those suggestions! By the way I took some inspiration from overwatch for some things..
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Added more stuff to make it not as empy and boring. Tweaked people. Hopefully gonna finalize it today.

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed the cobble stone floor in mixer, I dont know why it wouldnt work well with designer, literally almost the same textures. Houston, now we have clear read!

Artstation link-https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NxK0Ob

• Frankythebeast
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankythebeast polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome work :) 
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

Decided to come back to this and fix it before a round of job applications :) Its in progress..

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Guess its time to call it done.....for now   ;)