Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] M4

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Babsam polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys. I've decided to model this m4 for my school project. So far I've finished the basemesh but I guess I will have to split lower and upper receiver. I hoped you could share some of your thoughts on it. I've also started working on the highpoly but I'm not sure if the edges are soft enough. Some of the photos:

highpoly:

Replies

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    You are correct, the edges arent very soft. But the model overall looks kinda soft so i would recommend the double chamfer method in order to keep flat surfaces as flat as possible.
    Looks good overall.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    @teodar23 is spot on.
    I've also started working on the highpoly but I'm not sure if the edges are soft enough.
    In my opinion, there's a trade off between technical parameters and artistic licence, in terms of aiming for a visualized goal, So probably suggest a test bake, maybe the mag?! both normal & AO to gauge for yourself what works or not.

Good example here.
  • Babsam
    Offline / Send Message
    Babsam polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks guys for feedback. I tried to increase those chamfers a bit I'm going to try some test bakes to see how it looks but I think I'm getting a hang of this, I'm pretty sure that the flashlight mount  looks good. 

• Melubnio
    Offline / Send Message
    Melubnio polycounter lvl 3
    Great modeling!
    I presume that those cables of the flashlights are connected to a power bank of some sort?