Home Technical Talk

3DCoat Mega Thread

Replies

• Carlosan
  • Carlosan
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    Sounds like a fair move guys. I've got my licence for years and since 3DCoat is full of jewels and wonderful tools I don't understand how it can be sold a a so cheap price (your tool is like ZBrush...but also substance painter (and even better imo ♥), you can do UVs pretty well and you even have an integrated renderer solution, just to name a few features). Imo Pilgway deserve a lot more love from users and more money to keep making such a magical software ♥

Can't wait for this BIG update !!
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Carlosan said:

aw snap, i just bought it like one month ago! :( Will i get a free upgrade?
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I really like 3D coat and it is my go-to when I just want to make something quick (also automatic baking, so much more convenient than substance painter) but what it needs the most is not new features but remove the clunkyness and lag of the Interface and a UX and UI overhaul. 

It also just makes a really poor impression when I want to show someone from the team how easy it is to make a smart mask material in 3D coat compared to painter but everything is a mix of laggy or unresponsive or usage feedback lacking buttons and actions and you really notice how they don't want to use it even though its only a few steps to make something. Especially around the material workflow its very clunky and just dosnt feel good. Also someone desperately needs to add some proper Layouting to all the elements, Text and buttons need space. Alignment is important for finding things. The UI could look 2x better and understandable by just moving all things a little bit according to basic graphic design formatting rules and adding missing button states. Looking forward to the new versions tho definitely.
  • TheFlow
    Offline / Send Message
    TheFlow polycounter lvl 9
    3DCoat is such a great piece of software, but unfortunately I have to agree 100% with what Shrike just said. It feels clunky, unresponsive and not very well put together in a sense of UX and UI. I hope they won't want the long time users to pay too high of a price. I've read that they might charge you 100 bucks for an upgrade for the pro versions, but only time and the featureset of the release will tell me if it's worth that much. I would have no problem paying like 30-50 bucks, even just as a support thing for the devs, 100 just seems high unless they really clean it up and make it work a lot easier. 

Also, they should write easy to understand public announcements. How can it be that I have to read it like four times to have the feeling I finally got it? :D 
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    3d coat has lots of hidden treasures.   Many things way more convenient than in SPainter.   Like brushes for example allowing to paint with multi brush dab selection, basically scattering random details on surface.  

Still there are lots of weird omissions that are so obvious.   For example no way to load UDIM textures automatically, all at once.       No way to depth/height combine the layers.     

Imo it needs new features  too  like  that node  system   they showed recently .  I very much hope it will allow to replace layers.    Their layers with hidden masking parameters   are absolutely awful since day one.

I'll buy new version only when it allows to do something like that

it's something I can do in SPainter.  it's monstrously , terribly inconvenient there while should be simple like 2x2 .     But with 3d coat there is now way at all.

• Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan polycounter lvl 10

3DCoat 2021 Coming Soon & Special Offers

As you may know, earlier this year we announced a new 3DCoat 2020 coming soon. Since then we’ve been working hard to prepare the release. We do not have a confirmed date just yet, however we are happy to announce the new 3DCoat will ship within Q4 this year as 3DCoat 2021!

Multiple new tools and features are coming to 3DCoat 2021, some of which have already been disclosed, while some are still under our development roof, including the new user interface and more. On top of that, we will launch a whole new website, all-to-make your experience with 3DCoat modern, fresh and enjoyable.

There are some other important changes coming with 3DCoat 2021, and we would like to highlight some of those today.

First off, our licensing policies will be modified. The principle of the never-expiring permanent licenses will remain unchanged, however new types of licenses will be introduced:

• With the launch of 3DCoat 2021 the Amateur and Professional licenses will no longer be available.
    • We will lift all the technical and commercial use restrictions (such as with the Amateur license now), as well as remove the platform dependency.
    • Therefore, we will introduce completely new type of licenses, and namely: Individual and Company (the latter as node-locked and Floating) ones.
    • The Individual license is designed for personal use, such as with solo artists working on their own project, hobbysts and freelancers, commercial use allowed.
    • The Company type license is designed for use within organizations, commercial companies, studios etc.
    • Student and University licenses of 3DCoat 2021 will be introduced too.

Secondly, a note regarding the pricing policies. Those are still being defined, but on a general note, the licenses pricing will slightly increase. 

• The upgrade from the current V4 or earlier license to 3DCoat 2021 will be a paid one. We plan to offer upgrade discounts, depending on the time of your license purchase.
    • Given no technical and commercial restrictions, the price of the 3DCoat 2021 Individual license will be slightly higher than that of the current V4 Professional license.
    • 3DCoat 2021 Individual and 3DCoat 2021 Company will have not only the one-time purchase option, but also Monthly and Quarterly subscription as well as Rent-for-1-year options.

Finally, our Special Offers as of today.

• All the 3DCoat Professional type licenses purchased by individuals from August 1, 2020 until the release of 3DCoat 2021 will get a Free Upgrade to 3DCoat 2021 Individual (free if you buy for your personal use, no technical and commercial use restrictions).
    • All the 3DCoat Professional type licenses purchased by companies from August 1, 2020 until the release of 3DCoat 2021 will get a 50% discounted Upgrade rate to 3DCoat 2021 Company (if you buy for company use).
    • All the 3DCoat Amateur type licenses purchased from August 1, 2020 until the release of 3DCoat 2021 will get a Discounted Upgrade rate to 3DCoat 2021 Individual license.

Please, expect to hear more news on 3DCoat 2021 soon!

• Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    New "pivot around camera position"
    https://youtu.be/2ErcYvJUCfo
  • frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Do you guys really think that node editor is what's missing in 3d Coat?

How about just making a great sculpting app?

I mean I can think of so many issues with the sculpting workflow I've experienced over the time I've been using 3DC, the instability, general poor performance, unintuitiveness and freezes as well as missing features compared to Zbrush (or even Zbrush Core).

I mean it's really disappointing what they're doing with that software, it's becoming a garbage bag of half assed features.

• gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    frmdbl said:

How about just making a great sculpting app?
    There are alredy two great sculpting apps :   Zbrush and Blender.   Both are pretty great.   And  all the soft for textures is terrible and inconvenient .  Or too expensive in case of Mari

So I  rather want them to abandon sculpting and focus on textures/materials

• frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter

Well, I guess Sculpting and Painting is still enough of a narrow focus, I don't have a problem with that.

I mean new features are welcome, the node editor might be really cool, but I can't help but assume they have pretty limited resources, and I just don't get why the they don't polish what they got first.

What's next,half baked World Machine inside 3d Coat? Then what Houdini?
    I don't want to give them ideas.

• Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    I guess there's always a gap between users expectations and how software development works. I think it's about making choices not only based on what users needs but also what code needs (to be cleaner so more stable).

Personnaly I'd avoid suggesting devs how to do their own job and just trust them.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Vexod14 said:
    Personnaly I'd avoid suggesting devs how to do their own job and just trust them.
    Maybe it 's one of reasons why  pro CG soft is still so monstrously inconvenient in general.   There are few examples  of nice  tools and features  here and there scattered among different soft .      Mostly  they are  addons and plugins  somebody did for free or cheep.     So I don't believe in developers.   I do believe in open source ,  evolution and natural selection.   

ps.  I prey god 3d coat wouldn't get half baked Houdini,   Please nothing like Houdini, an example of what node based workflow shouldn't be.  Or even worst example - Substance Designer

• Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    gnoop said:

Maybe it 's one of reasons why  pro CG soft is still so monstrously inconvenient in general

I personaly feel fine with these (and I'm not a dev at all, but a simple artist who uses mostly 3dsMax, 3DCoat, Akeytsu, ZBrush, UE4, MT3, PS).
    I think that once you get the logic of a software, then you can truly use it at its fully potential and make constructive & solid feedbacks on it. I also think that if a software emerge, it's because their devs want to prove things can be done following their own logic, so if you want to bring their software close to another one...it can be pointless. If 3DCoat brings a new nodal editor, it comes with their own mindset aswell, cause I guess devs did take a leap into existing nodal systems on each other softwares to make their own the best one out there =)
  • Carlosan
  • Carlosan
  • Carlosan
  • Carlosan
  • Carlosan
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Improved layout is very important but please don't forget the button states. This is what makes things feel unresponsive, like not having a highlight when hovering over things like materials or brushes or other elements and the buttons and elements never visually reacting to clicks. Every time I export I double check if it actually exported because buttons just don't have a push animation and highlight and it appears like nothing happened. This is an issue with nearly all elements and very unusual to not have.
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    https://youtu.be/1Psbrf85lZE 
    The video demonstrates Cloth Tool in action, while modeling a bed. The toolset shown is part of the 3DCoat 2021 release expected in Q4 2020.
  • frmdbl
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Any info on the scope and the exact nature of the UI changes?

edit: ok, I realised there's a video called UI changes two posts above. Still I was looking through the videos to see 'the new UI' as it's advertised on the page, so I hope this isn't it.
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    https://youtu.be/UzyT7-2GBBs
    This video demonstrates the usage of the new Knife Tool in the Retopo Workspace of 3DCoat 2021
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    https://youtu.be/EtD8iVeWHWg

This video demonstrates the Weld Vertices Tool in 3DCoat's Retopo Workspace.
  • Carlosan
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message

Hello, 

Rj3D made a discord server for 3DCoat users to help share tips and get feedback in a live-chat environment. 

Please feel free to join if you want to.
    3D-Coat 
    https://discord.gg/014EEW9TajlBYvRg9

• Carlosan
  • Carlosan
  • Carlosan
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @Carlosan : the video says 3DC v4.9.65. Is this the only version with these spline surface tools ? Or put differently : in which version can one find these tools ?

Trying out 4.9.65 demo at the moment but can't seem to find any of the curve tools shown in the video. How are they accessed ?

• zbrush_newbie
    Offline / Send Message
    zbrush_newbie polycounter lvl 10
    I really hope v2021 addresses alot of the ui issues rather than just adding a load more new tools. Dont get me wrong its a great package that i`ve used for years but find its let down by lots of new tools being added but nothing really being refined.

For example the smart material interface hasnt changed for a long time, its still not very user friendly to tweak settings in your materials as you are painting.  Smart layers should be much more refined, be able to apply stencils and move them around later.
    Layer masks should be easily added and viewed in the layer like photoshop, not hidden away in a layer blending menu.
    There is no search feature for materials , so its difficult to find materials as your library grows.
    When doing intensive calculations there isnt a way to quit out of it and go back, it just sits there for hours sometimes being non-responsive.
    Having editors split up from paint, uv, tweak,etc really should just be combined into a couple of editors, paint and sculpt.

Thats just what i can think of off the top of my head. I use substance painter , quixel, marmoset 4,etc but i do have a soft spot for 3d coat as its so quick to do many things. I just wish they would polish some of these areas to make it a really great product.

• Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest version is 4.9.66
    Go to Edit > Preferences
    Activate new curves on Beta tools TAB
    https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/23667-3dcoat-49-beta-testing-thread/&
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Hi @Carlosan , thanks , ended up figuring it out since then. These curve-based surfacing tools really don't seem usable at this time though, right ? There is tremendous potential behind this paradigm imho, I've been hoping for something like that for years decades so it's a bit of a shame. (the only thing that ever came close was the software that came with the weird haptic 3d pen thingie)

• Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi
    Please add any feature request at this thread
    https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22207-new-curves-beta/
    ====================================

On 11/8/2020 at 8:25 AM, Gorbatovsky -dev- said:

I realized that the tools are not very clear and easy to use.

We are working to improve them. And bug fixes.

• pior
    Online / Send Message
    Well, it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing really. That thread seems to have been started by a user in order to contribute feedback on this toolset, which of course is great in and of itself ; but, what is the actual roadmap from the developers themselves ? Are they currently working on these features ? If so, what are the priorities and scope ? What is the intended schedule ? And so on.

Also ... the devs don't appear to be active in that thread with only a single reply at the beginning - hence that's not much of an incentive to contribute really :/ There are many things one could suggest of course, but doing so "in the void" seems hardly constructive...
  • Vexod14
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    pior said:

Also ... the devs don't appear to be active in that thread with only a single reply at the beginning - hence that's not much of an incentive to contribute really :/ There are many things one could suggest of course, but doing so "in the void" seems hardly constructive...
    As Carlosan said above : if you have suggestions, it's best to go to the beta testing thread. And more globally 3DCoat forums, if you need to gather more infos about a feature request/in dev, a bug or anything else related to Pilgway's software. 
    I'm a 3Dcoat user myself and I rarely look at polycount or any other forums to have regular updates on (any) software development rather than their own forums, plus the beta testing thread is a good old habit since a few years now on 3DCoat, most infos can be catched here, devs answers often really fast and you have beta build with nice features regularly =)
  • Cless
    Offline / Send Message
    Cless polycounter lvl 8
    pior said:
    Well, it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing really. That thread seems to have been started by a user in order to contribute feedback on this toolset, which of course is great in and of itself ; but, what is the actual roadmap from the developers themselves ? Are they currently working on these features ? If so, what are the priorities and scope ? What is the intended schedule ? And so on.

I believe they have a Trello board where you can vote for new features and it says on which ones of those they are working on atm. I'm not 100% sure that is still the case though...

@Vexod14 Is it just me... or I keep finding you now a bit everywhere? hahahaha
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Hi there @Vexod14 , @Cless, thank you for chiming in. Well, while it's true that the official forums are without a doubt the best place to ask ... it's still a bit odd to see videos cold-dropped here in this thread without any context or explanations. It's also unclear if this thread constitutes official communication from the team (therefore also here for support) or just some community posting. @Carlosan, would you mind clarifying ? I understand that I might sound a bit procedural on this but I just want to use my time wisely, so to speak.

As a owner of a license myself it took me quite a bit of time (hunting around unofficial youtube videos on the topic, looking around forums) to merely figure out how to even turn on this curves feature. I stuck to it and eventually figured it out, but the opaque communication doesn't really makes me want to contribute my time beyond that, especially if no development roadmap is being communicated. Even the thread related to the curves toolset linked above appears to be at a standstill, with barely any contribution from the devs.

It really is a bit of a shame because as always with 3DCoat the potential is tremendous. I just don't quite understand how the dev team operates (although admittedly I should probably explore their forums a bit more to get a feel for it.)
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Black Friday Deals on @3DCoatOfficial
    , starting on November 27, 9:00 (GMT+2): https://3dcoat.com

• Carlosan
  • Carlosan
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message

Last call to get $100 off on your V4 Pro license and a free upgrade to 3DCoat 2021: https://3dcoat.com

• Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Christmas banner

The magical and beautiful time of Christmas is coming! On the eve of the holidays we would like to extend you our warmest greetings and the best wishes of Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

All our team behind 3DCoat are deeply thankful for being with us during this year, and we hope our collaboration will continue over the next year and onwards!

As part of this festive season, we will be running our Christmas specials, including offers across all 3DCoat licenses as well as Smart Materials. The deals will be offered from December 23, 2019 until January 7, 2020

Please, keep an eye on our website for further details to be announced shortly.

Thanks again for your support!

Best holiday wishes!

Sincerely yours,
    3DCoat Team

• Carlosan
  • Carlosan
  • Carlosan
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Release was planned for Q4 2020, but we decided to shift it to Q1 2021 as we are still working on the release.
    So it will be available within the next couple months approx.
  • Carlosan
  • Carlosan