Home Technical Talk

V-Ray for Blender 2.8+

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
Hey all,
Anyone else been waiting for Chaos Group to offer up a V-Ray for Blender 2.8+? Since switching over from Max I've been sitting on my hands waiting/hoping for V-Ray to come along too. So far, over a year since 2.8, there's been nothing heard from the Chaos lads.
I'm sure that Blender is at the bottom of the list as far as development - that's to be expected I suppose. But over a year? Wow, disappointing. There's a thread I've been following about it here: https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/v-ray-for-blender-forums/v-ray-for-blender-general/1044525-vray-for-blender-2-8-when

Let me say, also, that I'm very happy with Cycles and Eevee - and a few other renderers, like Octane and Red Shift, have picked up the slack. It's just puzzling at this point the lack of a Blender release from V-Ray. Is it a revenue issue? Or lack of interest? I feel like Blender is coming into it's own - enough to warrant a release for major versions.

Thoughts?

Daf

Replies

• MarkBTomlinson
    Offline / Send Message
    MarkBTomlinson polycounter lvl 9
    I am waiting too I have the Modo version so am used to waiting at the end of the line.
    Last time I asked one of the devs on the Chaos Group the said they now had a developer working on the Blender version but from my feeling they are stretched very thin on the ground. The ones they have announced recently seem to be the ones with the most devs or the most experience in.
    While it is frustrating to wait I think they are finally moving slowly in the right direction, hell even Redshift is on Blender so they can't sit bak any longer. By the way had Redshift been on Modo I would have gone that way too. But I do like v-ray so happy I didn't.
    Moral of this is we have to wait and see, it will come but I have no idea when, next spring maybe?

• Daf57
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Mark!
    Thanks for the reply, I guess we will have to be patient ... more patient. ;)
    On the subject of Redshift, I saw this morning that they have released the Blender plugin - https://www.blendernation.com/2020/11/20/redshift-plugin-for-blender-released/

Thanks again!
    Daf

• Eric Chadwick
    There isn't a .vrscene exporter for Blender 2.8?
  • Daf57
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Hi Eric - AFAIK there is nothing available for 2.8 ... in fact the last upload at all is from 10/2019 - and it's a 2.79 build. 2.9 is right around the corner so another year of dev for that release? :(
  • MarkBTomlinson
    Offline / Send Message
    MarkBTomlinson polycounter lvl 9
    I found that too I had to go back to 2.79 just to be able to export a scene, and even then it was more trouble than it was worth for me at least.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Octane for Blender  uses same 2.9.1 build as official one currently   and pretty steady  on Blender.   I actually like its implementation more than at Max where I hardly understand anything , especially texture baking part.     And Octane  imo is a simplest render I ever tried  , just not suited very well for huge outdor scenes with lots of trees, grass etc due to memory limitations like evry GPU render.
    The subscribtion is not that much , studio one.

I have never understood why Vray is so beloved  after trying it many times through years
  • Daf57
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    I'm fine with Octane - I've used it, but have yet to really give it a production shot. There are so many good renderers these days. My main concern with V-Ray currently is that I've got a license that I had hoped to continue to use with Blender, but so far have not been able to.
    My affair with V-Ray started way back with Max. The scanline renderer wasn't cutting it. I used Brazil until Splutterfish went under, then I bought V-Ray.