Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Getting new shoes

FP_
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
FP_ polycounter lvl 2
Hi Polycount members!

I'm new to the forum, as I searched for a more active forum than my previous hangout CGTALK (even though my activity there has been waaaaaay back). I work as a 3d artist at a (mostly) real-estate targeted visual agency during my day job and work as a photographer on the side. Anyway, I'd like to say hello by starting of with showing you my latest 3d project, which I have been working on in my spare time.
Unlike most of my personal spare time projects, I can actually call this one finished :)

The render is in 8K, so if you open the image in a new tab you can enjoy all the details ;)

Done in Maya + V-Ray & Photoshop

Please let me hear your thoughts :)

Cheers!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Hi and welcome to Polycount!

We don't use BBCode tags here, like [IMG]. Just use the Insert Image button (which looks like a landscape picture ) and paste the full image URL (starting with http and ending with jpg or gif or png). Or you can just drag-n-drop directly into your edit.

More helpful info on this here: https://polycount.com/discussion/63361/information-about-polycount-new-member-introductions/p1#make
  • FP_
    Offline / Send Message
    FP_ polycounter lvl 2
    Hi and welcome to Polycount!

We don't use BBCode tags here, like [IMG]. Just use the Insert Image button (which looks like a landscape picture ) and paste the full image URL (starting with http and ending with jpg or gif or png). Or you can just drag-n-drop directly into your edit.

Cheers! I Updated the post :)

• HeatherLNunnelly
    Offline / Send Message
    HeatherLNunnelly polycounter lvl 2
    Very impressive. Love the detail!
  • FP_
    Offline / Send Message
    FP_ polycounter lvl 2
    Very impressive. Love the detail!

Thank you very much!
    Can you spot things that could be better still?
  • HeatherLNunnelly
    Offline / Send Message
    HeatherLNunnelly polycounter lvl 2

Technically speaking, I can't see anything. It's very well put together. However, if you want this to be a portfolio piece, the composition needs work.

There is a lot of negative space that's not really being used in the green area. I feel like something needs to be added here. Maybe something in the texturing -- like dirt of grime. If not, add another small object.

As far as the red areas go, there is a lot of repetitive shapes. This is boring to look at. I see some dents in the iron, which makes it more interesting, but it needs more of that. Maybe more shapes. Or tilt the geometry slightly. The lights are perfectly aligned.

Everything is also too clean. It makes it feel not real. Especially with it raining outside. Have people been walking around the garage? Maybe add puddles? Mud? Add some wear and tear on the tires and coil.

Again, technically the project is wonderful. Throw it in substance painter, add some more detail, and I think it would make it look even better.

The strongest areas are the rowed up tires, and the outside. Mostly because there is overlapping shapes and textures.
  • FP_
    Offline / Send Message
    FP_ polycounter lvl 2
    Great tips! Thanks!

Im gonna see if I can do some more touch-ups in post, as the renderscene got corrupted and I don't feel like spending again several hours trying to sort out where the problem lies :P
  • defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Great work! Loved the 8k resolution too, but it seems the images are smaller now.

Possibly some potential for improvement on the material surfaces of the concrete walls and gate. Would like to see less generic noise base textures and some edge damage. Great work, nonetheless!