Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Temple (UE4)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
Hi, all,

Decided to start up on a new project today, its far from perfect but im on it.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Dude you're killing it. I don't know anybody else who makes as many environments as you.
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude you're killing it. I don't know anybody else who makes as many environments as you.
    haha, thanks a lot man! The more different environments for me the better I think. 
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on the bigger picture

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the spam but I thought it was necessary, redoing some things. Which one do you like more? Not gonna lie, coming up with own temple design is extremely hard.

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, done, could probably go back and noodle on those trims and add a ton of detail, but not super hyped for it, I think the overall composition works well and is 
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    The composition is good in this one, theme is interesting also, but i think it could be better than good. I think you're rushing to call it done and as a result you're missing out on doing something really great. I dont know what is your end goal with these bite sized exercises but i doubt it helps you learn in any way. If its practice then practice the full process, dont just do the 80% in every environment piece. Just my opinion.
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    The composition is good in this one, theme is interesting also, but i think it could be better than good. I think you're rushing to call it done and as a result you're missing out on doing something really great. I dont know what is your end goal with these bite sized exercises but i doubt it helps you learn in any way. If its practice then practice the full process, dont just do the 80% in every environment piece. Just my opinion.
    Thanks man. Always appreciate your feedbacks. Honestly the end goal is to get a job as first level artist and modeler second, hence why I don’t spend a ton of time on the trim materials and models. I just know how much time they will take, but yeah I definetly agree that in the case with this environment especially adding up detail trims and stuff like that will definetly make it a lot greater, hence why I plan to go back to it, but when I do the first thing on my mind will be to better the composition and then get to modeling. 

Ps: I’m not really rushing, this is just my workflow, I must be doing something wrong for sure 🤣 but hey, I like how these look and hopefully some peeps like that too. I just get the idea out, and layer out the details from big to small,  
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Definetly going back to it as I wasnt satisfied with the end result. Thank you, teodar23. Amplyfying the normals is going a long way for adding detail in an environment lit like this as you can see.

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Honestly the end goal is to get a job as first level artist and modeler second, hence why I don’t spend a ton of time on the trim materials and models.

This could be what is holding you back from getting a job. I have a hard time believing any studio would hire a junior level artist who wasn't also great with modeling and texturing. Set dressing and lighting are only part of the job. You're obviously good at set dressing and lighting, but there is a big weakness in your skill set if you're not making the assets for your environments. Going through your ArtStation, I have no idea which assets you've made, and which assets you've used Megascans/downloaded assets for.

Maybe make your next few projects from scratch?

That being said, the composition of this project looks dope!
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly the end goal is to get a job as first level artist and modeler second, hence why I don’t spend a ton of time on the trim materials and models.

This could be what is holding you back from getting a job. I have a hard time believing any studio would hire a junior level artist who wasn't also great with modeling and texturing. Set dressing and lighting are only part of the job. You're obviously good at set dressing and lighting, but there is a big weakness in your skill set if you're not making the assets for your environments. Going through your ArtStation, I have no idea which assets you've made, and which assets you've used Megascans/downloaded assets for.

Maybe make your next few projects from scratch?

That being said, the composition of this project looks dope!
    Thanks man, honestly I do have decent experience with asset making, you can see it with the launcher I showcase on artstation. There is also the versailles environment which I modeled from scratch with tons of ornate stuff like the tables which I didnt showcase because I lost the files.. but yeah I defo agree that I need to pull myself together and make an environment from scratch one of those days, Ideally ASAP 
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the wings today and did a bunch of other stuff, hope people like it!

• JUSTINJAGER
    Offline / Send Message
    JUSTINJAGER polycounter lvl 6
  • valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, guys, reworking this piece a lil bit :) Its in progress.. 

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna call this done for now, will probably improve it later at some point :)