Home General Discussion

re Zoom security risks

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
I am not an IT expert by any stretch of the magination, but what do you guys think of zoom as a potential risk to
users.
I run malwarebytes pro and was wonderig if its ok to use, particularly intertested to hear from any IT experts out there

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Ruz said:
    I am not an IT expert by any stretch of the magination, but what do you guys think of zoom as a potential risk to
    users.
    I run malwarebytes pro and was wonderig if its ok to use, particularly intertested to hear from any IT experts out there
    Zoom security risks are mostly because it's possible to join a meeting you haven't been invited to. So people could be listening in on your conversation. It's not because there's much risk of hackers gaining access to your machine. 

you should be pretty safe if you do the following: 
    • don't join zoom meetings without checking that it's the right one
    • keep your zoom app updated
    • turn on the encryption in zoom
    Your antivirus isn't really going to help you since that's not the kind of attack you'd expect from zoom.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Thanks for the reply sprunghunt
    is it true that zoom doesn't really have end to end encryption and that they actually lied about having it?. Most of the articles i have read seem to be dated from around April 2020, so probably a lot has changed since then.
    They do seem to have a cavalier attitude towards security though.
    We were using some google based app previously but it was just too laggy
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We use zoom twice a week for group calls with major internet companies (Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, etc.) and we haven't had any troubles, for the last year and a half. https://www.khronos.org/3dcommerce

We did start requiring a passcode to enter, after asshats started trolling random calls (not ours though, we were just being precautionary).

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry about it. Phishing emails and social engineering hacks are much more prevalent.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers Eric, good to know. will probably give it a try