Home Unreal Engine

Are my UVs okay for Unreal Engine?

wannabe3d
node
Hi everyone,

First time here :)

I'm trying to model a gun for using in Unreal Engine.

Here is the model:

Here is the combined UVs:

Here is the UV of a single part:

My question is that are my UVs okay? How can I optimize it for use in Unreal Engine games? And in the combined view why do my UVs appear almost like a solid object?

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Well. If you are plannign to apply as much materials/texture sets as subobjects you have, then yes its fine. This is regardless of the target renderer, it works like this in all of them. If you want to reduce the number of materials needed, then merge the parts, and pack the uvs so they dont overlap. This is a significant optimization though.
  • wannabe3d
    Thanks for the reply. In an optimized game asset of this type, how many materials are generally used?
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    That really depends on the size and the complexity of the asset, and also on how close it would be to the camera. Since this is a weapon, its probably close unless its a third person weapon. You can increase the overall resolution by splitting the mesh up into multiple materials, and use multiple sets of high res textures, but on a tps weapon, this is not necessary because its never close to the camera. In that case I would say probably 1 is fine. For fps, 1-2, if its a complex weapon with many pieces (which this isnt) then maybe a few more.
  • wannabe3d
    You're a big help, thank you very much.