Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Completed] Scarlet Monastery (UE4)

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Fatcows triangle
Hey everyone, I am working on a environment based on the dungeon from World of Warcraft called "Scarlet Monastery". I'm looking for some critique on what I have so far. I'm greatly struggling with trying to get the lighting looking clean and clear. I'm not sure what to do at this time. Also I cant seem to get the depth of field working on my shot. I have to work on the front door area, work on some VFX, go back to the indoor scene to fix any textures and so forth and then learn to make a video/sound of the environment

I spent about 2-3 weeks on this project so far. You can see my blog post here for Week 1 and Week 2/3

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Fatcows
    Offline / Send Message
    Fatcows triangle
    Week 4 Renders

• Brandon_KyT
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon_KyT polycounter lvl 2
    If you are trying to get those candles out of focus, try decreasing the aperture and increasing the current focal length. Moving a little closer to the candles might help!
  • Fatcows
    Offline / Send Message
    Fatcows triangle
    If you are trying to get those candles out of focus, try decreasing the aperture and increasing the current focal length. Moving a little closer to the candles might help!
    Thanks, I actually tried this earlier and it worked. I need to rework my camera though to get a better angle.
  • KW_Arts
    Offline / Send Message
    KW_Arts polygon

Hey there! This is some nice work and I love how the lighting has developed so far. At the start it was hard to notice the clear focal point but now it is being highlighted with the harsher spotlight much more clearly now.

At this point, it just needs a bit more set dressing. There are certain areas, like the floor and pillars where there is a bit too much tiling and repetition. So perhaps you could break this up a bit more by adjusting some of the brick silhouettes to emphasis the stylised aesthetic. Or perhaps some more clutter props, decals, and things like that to create some variation in the different areas of the scene!

Really looking forward to the end project! 😊

• Fatcows
    Offline / Send Message
    Fatcows triangle
    Hello everyone,

This is week 4 of the project and I been staring at it for so long I need a break from it so I can get some fresh eyes. This is still a WIP, but please let me know what you think and any critique is welcomed!.

I still have the outside portion to do, I need to break the symmetry a bit more, work on the side rooms and then form a video.

Week 4 Blog

Thanks for looking!
  • Fatcows
    Offline / Send Message
    Fatcows triangle
    KW_Arts said:

Hey there! This is some nice work and I love how the lighting has developed so far. At the start it was hard to notice the clear focal point but now it is being highlighted with the harsher spotlight much more clearly now.

At this point, it just needs a bit more set dressing. There are certain areas, like the floor and pillars where there is a bit too much tiling and repetition. So perhaps you could break this up a bit more by adjusting some of the brick silhouettes to emphasis the stylised aesthetic. Or perhaps some more clutter props, decals, and things like that to create some variation in the different areas of the scene!

Really looking forward to the end project! 😊

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with you 100%. I started to add in some clutter props, but I don't think its enough. I'm having some trouble figuring out what to add to break up the symmetry a bit. I like to redo the pillars as well or try and vertex texture them a bit better. 
  • Brandon_KyT
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really cool. In the 1st and 2nd picture, the shadow outlines created by the light coming from the door look a bit jagged. I'm not sure if that's the skylight or directional light, but maybe try toning that down a bit to create a smoother transition into the shadows.

The whole feel and ambience of the scene is really cool, can't wait for the next update
  • Fatcows
    Offline / Send Message
    Fatcows triangle
    This is looking really cool. In the 1st and 2nd picture, the shadow outlines created by the light coming from the door look a bit jagged. I'm not sure if that's the skylight or directional light, but maybe try toning that down a bit to create a smoother transition into the shadows.

The whole feel and ambience of the scene is really cool, can't wait for the next update

Thankyou! Regarding the light, I'm using a directional light but on the movable setting. I'm not sure how to deal with the jaggedness right now, but I placed it on moveable because I plan to have a video starting from the outside and moving into the interior scene as the doors open up so the light goes into the room. I'm not sure if setting it to movable was the right move and ill need to do some research for that. If you have any ideas feel free to let me know!
  • Brandon_KyT
    Offline / Send Message
    It could be that the edges on your door silhouette are too hard, which is why the projected shadows look sharp - I think that would be your first go to. Other than that try messing around with the directional light settings. 
  • Fatcows
    Offline / Send Message
    Fatcows triangle
    Updated renders for week 5. Ill post a blog for week 5 in a few days.

• Fatcows
    Offline / Send Message
    Fatcows triangle
    Some images of the props and modular assets from last week.

• Fatcows
    Offline / Send Message
    Fatcows triangle
    Finally finished. you can also check out my Artstation and blog!