Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] - Shin Megami Tensei Archangel Fan-Art (Realtime)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Druwed polycounter lvl 6
Staring a new character project, going to be a game-ready character.
Most Recent WIPs

Original Concept by Kazuma Kaneko, from SMT Strange Journey

Concept i'm going to be modeling, One of the 7 archangels, Aniel

Style: Going to model this in a stylized style, going to give my own spin on how this might look in a 2020 game.

Some references for the style i'm trying to nail down.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xgeJr

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XB0XZ3

Replies

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    First attempt at block-out and wings

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6

Most Recent WIP
    Studied a bit on how wings are set-up and refined some of the anatomy
    Still need to fill out the rest of the wings and work more on the sculpt.
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Went back and re-worked how the feathers are placed after looking at some eagle wings.
    Wondering if i can get away with only 1 wing, but given this demon has 6 of them, making 2+ is probably better so there is not as much repetition.
    Still need to fix up the back of the wings
    Going to work a bit on the face and body before going back to the wings

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Worked a bit on the facial anatomy, also spent some time trying to figure out the wings will be posed.
    Will work on the torso and arms next , before coming back and refining the other areas

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Worked some more on the face and body anatomy

Also did another test pose trying to match the concept, will focus on the lower torso and arms next

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6

Trying to refine the face to be more similar to the reference and to Kaneko`s style, but it`s not quite there yet.
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6

Another WIP
    Really happy with how this is progressing, next only he list are refining the wings and arms, making his gloves.
    And adding something eldritch/lovecraftian in the body/stomach area, something like the Shin Megami Tensei 4 archangel designs.
    Currently thinking about some hanging appendages/half formed limbs or some tentacles and eyes(although that may be too generic).

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Another WIP
    Will do some final polishing in the face/arms/wings, make the lovecraftian lower body, and the move onto retopo and rigging
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Finally finished the Retopo on he wings, and finished the body sculpt.
    Now will fix some anatomy issues and Retopo the body so i can move onto baking and texturing

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    time for baking and texturing

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Need to fix some small issues in the normal and AO map, and then move onto texturing
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    I loved this game~!

Your sculpt has a lot of detail going on. I like your more real style take on the character, my only nitpick would be the wings are so much bigger that they take away form the body of the character.

Nice work :)
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    vavavoom said:
    I loved this game~!

Your sculpt has a lot of detail going on. I like your more real style take on the character, my only nitpick would be the wings are so much bigger that they take away form the body of the character.

Nice work :)

I'll try fixing the scale of the wings so that the body isn't swallowed up by them
    Thanks for the critique
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6

Put in some basic colors and tweaked a bit of the proportions.
    Next on the list is to fix some of the Geometry and Baking errors that are still present, make some of the wings and feathers look more natural/relaxed and finish the characters Backside.
    After that i'm going to refine the colors, and do some slight hand painting to give him a more stylized look,

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    The wings in the back are looking good.  Based on the concept art you have posted the wings that are supposed to wrap around his neck are not true to the concept art.  The wings near his neck should be wrapped around his neck and then what looks like it flares out in front of him and towards the viewer.  His right side wing around his neck should be below his left side wing around his neck and the left side wing should be on top of the right side wing.
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Inhert said:
    The wings in the back are looking good.  Based on the concept art you have posted the wings that are supposed to wrap around his neck are not true to the concept art.  The wings near his neck should be wrapped around his neck and then what looks like it flares out in front of him and towards the viewer.  His right side wing around his neck should be below his left side wing around his neck and the left side wing should be on top of the right side wing.
    ill try fixing the the front/neck wings, they have been an issue due to me not knowing how to connect them to his backside, but ill try connecting them near the neck area and flare the front wings out a bit to see how it looks.
    What do you mean about the wing positioning?  The right side wing is below the left wing and the left wing is on top of the right side wing
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Druwed said:
    What do you mean about the wing positioning?  The right side wing is below the left wing and the left wing is on top of the right side wing

Yes, the left wing around his neck should overlap the right wing

• Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
  • Druwed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Druwed polycounter lvl 6
    Going to call this finished for now, love how he turned out. More shots on my artstaion https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rA0nk5