Home Career & Education

Making a 3D model based off someone else’s concept art for your portfolio

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
proto93 polycounter lvl 4
I was recently watching a flipped normals and they said thats its better to just use someone elses concept art to make a 3D character from rather than make your own. So lets say I make a decent character based off their art and want to put it in my portfolio (artstation) what would be the best way to go about this? Do I just give them credit in the description and link to their concept art? 

Replies

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    You can tag them in your description by posting they artstation link

It will look like this

• proto93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani said:
    You can tag them in your description by posting they artstation link

It will look like this

I see. So rather than post the link to their artstation piece, it is better to just link their profile?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Either is fine.  The profile link is an ArtStation feature, not necessarily a requirement for every single place you post the piece.
  • proto93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Either is fine.  The profile link is an ArtStation feature, not necessarily a requirement for every single place you post the piece.

Alright thank you. I just wanted to make sure I credited and thanked them in a proper way.
  • Frankythebeast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankythebeast polycounter lvl 4
    Do i have to take their permission before starting the 3d model or just tagging them while uploading   your work is fine ?
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    What does it cost you to ask for permission? Not a lot. While legally you might be able to do fan art without asking. I personally think its a matter of courtesy to just ask for permission. In my experience, artists are usually very happy when you asked. If you didnt, chances are somebody will be against it.
  • proto93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    What does it cost you to ask for permission? Not a lot. While legally you might be able to do fan art without asking. I personally think its a matter of courtesy to just ask for permission. In my experience, artists are usually very happy when you asked. If you didnt, chances are somebody will be against it.
    Thats a good idea. I actually did end up asking someone and they agreed but it was a friend rather than someone on artstation.