Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter Normal Map Seam Issue

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Rivfader polycounter lvl 2
Hi everyone! I ran into a technical problem with the symmetrical normal map part of my model (there is an ugly seam after texturing in Substance Painter).

In general:

My model has the symmetrical section on the back - consequently, it has overlapping UV islands. Triangulation is symmetrical too. I bake my normal map in Marmoset Toolbag 3 with two main options - fix mirrored tangents and Tangent Space:Mikk/xNormal. Also, before baking, I moved symmetrical UV-islands by one UDIM-tile.  The result is pretty decent - there is no obvious seam in the symmetrical section. But here is the problem. When I import my mesh into the Substance Painter and apply my seamless normal map from Marmoset there appears an ugly unwanted seam. And after texturing, when I import the model back to Marmoset, there is still present Substance's normal map seam. Now I'm wondering how can I set up "Tangent Space Mikk/Xnormal" in Painter or something like that because in Marmoset it really worked... I tried several parameters in Substance Painter (Compute tangent space per fragment/DirectX/OpenGL/Increased Shader Quality to Ultra (256spp)). Also, I tried to bake my normal map in Substance Painter but there was the same result. Any suggestions guys? I will appreciate any kind of help. 

Important info:
This is not a texture seam (there is nothing to do with tri-planar projections), it is definitely a normal map seam (checked textures with a native  Marmoset's seamless normal map - there is no seam, it appears after Substance Painter). It is like an SP shader problem.

Replies

• Rivfader
    Offline / Send Message
    Images here:
    https://prnt.sc/uxw7lh  - native marmosets normal map without an obvious seam
    https://prnt.sc/uxw8dx - same normal map but after Substance Painter
  • Rivfader
    Offline / Send Message
    After a painful 'trial&error' research I realized a small interesting thing - the normal map gradient seam is not exactly a painter's problem. It definitely causes by MatFinishRough filter on the base layer of my green paint material. It seems this filter does not provide work with overlapped UVs. Any suggestions guys?

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Sometimes these sort of bugs/artifacts are unique to painters viewport.  If it's fine in other renderers like Marmoset, it's fine to ignore it.

edit after reading your last post: if its the filter causing the issue, you mentioned you did some steps I would do to troubleshoot (move over stacked uv's a udim, and rebake) so i'm not too sure actually other than just ignoring it since it seems to export/render fine. Seems to just be bugged and not able to handle stacked uvs?
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Does the filter rely on an object space normal? That might be the cause of the problem, not your tangent space map.
  • Rivfader
    Offline / Send Message
    Does the filter rely on an object space normal? That might be the cause of the problem, not your tangent space map.
    I tried to rebake object space normal with applied transforms of both hi and low poly version of my model. Also I tried to disable it at all.
    Unfortunately, I got a similar result with MatFinishRough filter.  

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Rivfader said:
     MatFinishRough filter.  

Is it saying its (out dated) on it? Then you have to simply redo it, take a picture of the current settings before you do it since you can not xfer the settings which i think should be added in to an update if its not already.

I know it is not the one you are saying, i looked for the 1st one that showed the "need for manual review".
    Fixes things for me most time, otherwise i'd do what others have said if it works on export.
  • Rivfader
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz said:
    Rivfader said:
     MatFinishRough filter.  

Is it saying its (out dated) on it? Then you have to simply redo it, take a picture of the current settings before you do it since you can not xfer the settings which i think should be added in to an update if its not already.

I know it is not the one you are saying, i looked for the 1st one that showed the "need for manual review".
    Fixes things for me most time, otherwise i'd do what others have said if it works on export.
    Unfortunately, it is not an "Outdated" issue, I've already checked it out. Also, I saw this thread, it seems the guy has the same kind of technical problem https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php?topic=25566.0