Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monsters of Quake (quake1)

DavidMcKenna
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
DavidMcKenna polycounter lvl 2
Quake was one of the first games I ever played It has been a huge influence on me artistically. 

I am aiming to model something true and immediately recognizable to the original designs of the first game. To create a likely interpretation at current gen specs.

There have been more recent versions from id showing up in Quake champions and also as a hidden gem in Doom 3. Those versions are quite cool, However I am purposely ignoring them for this. The original Quake 1 is what I want to be the main reference.

I aim to preserve likeness with the original game by following:
- Overall silhouette, and form.
- Color scheme (once I get to to materials)
- Matching the written description from the manual.
- The Quake wiki
- Taking into account descriptions the 1996 id team have said on online forms.
- Guessing the likely details based on the original low res textures.
- (To a lesser degree) descriptions from Lovecraft.

Other goals:

- Realism (not cartoony)
- Anatomical plausibility and function applied to monstrous form.
- An unsettling aesthetic.
- An end product of professional looking monster models.

Here is where I am at so far:

These are all a WIPs, let me know if you feel these are true to the original designs so far? I would also love to hear any other feedback.

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Nothing atm, they look like their lowpoly counter parts to me.(middle monster is foggy for me to remember)  Forget the last guys name (been awhile) but yea that guy was creepy back in the day so looking forward to that one nearly finalized, i like how you are tackling the bodily forms.  Really nice idea for a project collection, looking forward to the rest, i know shambler, that is about it. :) 
  • DavidMcKenna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz said:
    Nothing atm, they look like their lowpoly counter parts to me.(middle monster is foggy for me to remember)  Forget the last guys name (been awhile) but yea that guy was creepy back in the day so looking forward to that one nearly finalized, i like how you are tackling
    the bodily forms.  Really nice idea for a project collection, looking forward to the rest, i know shambler, that is about it. :) 
    Thank you David.
    I have taken a few stabs at the shambler in the past
    These are the previous ways I have interpreted him:
    - A low poly version https://skfb.ly/6vR6A
    - And Sculpture/maquette I did in college: https://www.deviantart.com/david-the-cenobite/art/Shambler-77903614

I can't find the thread anymore, but I think remember seeing when asked if the Shambler was hairy or wrinkley, Romero said one thing and another one of the id team said the other. I am thinking I may split the difference this time, and give him wrinkles with mange.
  • DavidMcKenna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are the monsters original monsters from Quake that I am looking to as the references.

• DavidMcKenna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message