Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Can you give me feedbacks ?

Hi everyone ! Thank you to click !
I'm a student and I want to be a Junior Environment Artist for Video Games and I wanted to know "How good" my portfolio is at this moment.

I don't know if I'm far to be a Junior Environment Artist or if I have to work a lot more to have the required skills.

Thank you ! And please destroy me in the comments !

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    The sewer is pretty good. I especially like the lighting. There are a couple of things that look off to me though. First, the large scale brick texture of the rib arches seem at odds with the small scale bricks of the tunnel walls. Second, the loose bricks on the floor look out of place without any holes, cracks, or collapsed sections in the tunnel walls. Like, where did the bricks come from, why are they there?

Also (and this might be just personal taste), the sewer scene feels like it needs something extra to make it more interesting and really bring it to life. I'm not sure what though. Maybe a story element, maybe a focal point, maybe even mixing in elements of a completely different kind of environment, almost like kit-bashing. The geek in me would love to see a shanty town down there like in Futurama, but I'll let you decide what to add (if anything).
  • Semperfoo
    Offline / Send Message
    Semperfoo polycounter lvl 2
    Hey, Dave! An instructor told me once that "your portfolio should tell people who you are".

Then maybe you want to add some more pieces in order to show more specifically which kind of artist you are. I mean, if you want to be a environment artist, then include more diferent environments. If want to be a prop artist, show what types of objects you can model (weapons, armors, vehicles, tech devices, even some food maybe). Or if you're a generalist you could show more of what you can make.

I liked the quality of your work, but I'm kind of new to 3D, so I can't say much more about that. I hope you found this helpful.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    The sewer looks very good, I like it a lot! I think a few pieces of this quality (or, inevitably, better quality) would give you a solid portfolio. Adding a place for the eye to focus, or for the brain to create a story, would be good, for scenes going forward.

The hellcat pistol's material doesn't read well, but the model looks solid. I'm not positive, but looking at photos on google, it looks like the top bit is metal, and the bottom bit is some kind of durable non-metal material, like a ceramic composite, or dense plastic or something. Right now, the model doesn't feel at all like metal.

I'd say just keep on trucking, send your portfolio to companies and express your interest, and if they pass they pass; send again once you put more pieces in. Same goes here, actually; when you've done more pieces, post here again asking for more thoughts. That kind of willingness to improve is great.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I'd just reiterate the previous comments, although an additional point for future reference.

Really can't fault your weapon modeling, generally an accurate representation of the target object however I'll suggest more research on materials, since the OEM gun itself is manufactured with a metal receiver assembly coated in ceramic and pistol grip group is made entirely of a polymer based material which in my opinion at the moment instead seems to read, like a cast/mold metallic aesthetic, overall. 
  • 7bajwa
    Offline / Send Message
    7bajwa polycounter lvl 9
    Hello Cyprien, Good going with the folio progress. I like you made a prop and a sewer environment. As everyone else said. you need more work in there, at least 2-3 environments and some props. I always suggest to start with a prop then a diorama and then a small environment.
    As Semperfoo said, relatable props and theme always helps. Making something similar like Fantasy, sci-fi, stylized or realistic.
    There are few things I felt after looking at the folio. Gun I won't talk much, sacbio said all the things already. I will talk about the Sewer.
    Here I quickly find some concept on the artstation. See there are more details in the concept like garbage, moss, debris, props and leaks and more details. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xz9aJX  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xz9aJX
    It is always good to add a story or leading a eye to a key point. Look in the concepts, you will put a wooded board where you need to cross the sewer. in between the railing it don't make sense. If railing is broken and someone put it there to cross it plus if the main way is blocked. 
    Look at the sewer in the Division. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Pmny1L There are more details likes small garbage and debris. there is a sign of water lever higher then current. there is a door which leads to somewhere. you have the exit and make it more bright at the end so you know its the exit and you lead the way of the player to there.
    Overall mood and lighting is good. Still you can polish the overall scene to make it more beautiful. Surely Models and textures need more work. Need more details like edge chip off & damages, cracks and all. I don't wanna make more longer just work a little more on the scene or put more love to your next scene if you are working on it right now. you can post the screens for that and we will have look. I hope it all helps. 
  • BOT_Dave
    Hi !
    Sorry for the late answer.
    Thank you for your comments, I really appreciated it. I'll will work hard for my next environment/object and i'll try to add storytelling to my environment but before I want to work on technical skill (like for my sewers where I had to learn everything (UE4, Trim Texture, Modular Environment, Vertex Painting)). Now I want to create a Forest.

Yes that's not original or amazing but I want to focus on the techniques and learn how to make foliage in video game and tileable texture in Substance Designer.

Thank you !
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    You could do both. Stories and forests go great together, just ask the brothers Grimm.
  • BOT_Dave
    Yeah sure later I'll do that but actually I just want to focus on the technical aspect.