Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Te lord of the rings - Orc Olog-hai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFUO5lubDc&feature=emb_title

Olog-hai are not mentioned by name in The Lord of the Rings; the term appears only in the appendices. They were created by Sauron at the end of the Third Age, possibly for the same reason that Saruman created the Uruk-hai, to improve and lesser vulnerability to sunlight.

Replies

• DavidMcKenna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidMcKenna polycounter lvl 2
    Is the outside toe supposed to be bigger then the inside toe?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you use IMGUR to host the images, you can directly paste the images into the thread instead of attachments.

Helps the lazy people like me.

Outer toe being bigger than the inside toe is a bit anatomy red flag to me as well.

The blue part of the skin could stand to have more roughness variation and normal skin detail to it to help it pop out against the rest of the body.

The blood splatter looks unconvinving at the moment.  LIke there's spots where it's a soft gradient, and others where it's a particle brush only look.  Unify the application and give it a direction it was coming from.

• Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Hmm OK the first thing I noticed is that your materials are off, rverything looks like plastic.

I would suggest, hide your blood platter and dirt passes and work further on your materials. For the skin, bake a thickness map and use SSS. That will boost your skin work.

As Brian "Panda" Choi mentioned, the roughness values are key for a good texture job. BTW on what resolution is your current texture set?

What is your final presentation platform? Do you want to pose your character?

Keep it up!
  • arthurlucas120
    I still don’t have much sense of anatomy
  • arthurlucas120
    thank you for your criticism @Crazy_pixel @Brian "Panda" Choi ian @DavidMcKenna
  • arthurlucas120
    @Crazy_pixel I want to do a pose but I'm learning to rig, The platform I used to render was Marmosset.
  • arthurlucas120
    can you help me improve this model?
    i'm from brazil and i speak portuguese, but i can understand english well.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you need anatomy references, find images of existing fat, but strong, body builders.  "Strong men" as they're called. 

Also cross reference them with exsiting Lord of the Rings assets of trolls and the like; see what's kept, noted, or defined between those fictional character assets and real life references.
  • DavidMcKenna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidMcKenna polycounter lvl 2
    thank you for your criticism @Crazy_pixel @Brian "Panda" Choi ian @DavidMcKenna
    In my opinion the proportions/anatomy are decent other then the outside Toe being bigger then the inside toe. Which I thought might be part of Tolken's description of him?

Unless it is part of description, my opinion is he would look more believable with the inside toe larger then the outside toe.

I think where it needs the most work at the moment is materials and lighting.

The materials look like they are off to a good start, They general match the color schemes and designs of the LOTR games and movies. Although they also look way to low-rez  and blurry for current generation games, or portfolio art. Boost the resolutions and make the details sharper.

It looks like the material is just albedo and normal at the moment? Add a roughness map in there as well. Does this guy has rough skin like a Rino? if so it should be very close to mat.

Keep it up, he is off to a good start.
  • arthurlucas120
    this was the first model that i do with retopology, and as you can see in its very texturing.