Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Luke O'Connor: 3D Gun ~ Mid-Range SMG

triangle
Offline / Send Message
LukeOConnor triangle
Photobashed a few  gun concepts, while pulling from real life reference to model at mid range SMG. I am open to critique. Please give your opinion and insight.

Replies

• LukeOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukeOConnor triangle
    Here is the reference and current progress.
  • LukeOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukeOConnor triangle
    Here is an update. I changed the buttstock and transition that leads into the buttstock.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Good start, is the aim realtime or pre-rendered?

Also like to see some wires, please.
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Concept is cool but there are some small things that dont make sense to me, like the bottom attachment to the stock. It has a reduction then it goes back to the previous shape, dunno. You should post more pics from different angles and maybe some wires so that people can give feedback about the modeling.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    The buttstock is very long while the handguard is small, this look uneconomic.
  • LukeOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukeOConnor triangle
    My goal for this is pre-rendered. I still plan to add cuts and details to the plane spaces. I am also going to add some wires and techy bits connecting the right side of the scope down to the back right of the gun below the rear sight.

I'll experiment with lengthening the handguard and front grip.  I will also add some logic to the connection between the buttstock and lower buttstock insertion. here is the high poly isoline wireframe
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Topology in certain area's of your mesh, from a personal preference I'd possibly approach differently however all good.
    Edge control seems fine alongside the object's silhouette. 
  • LukeOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukeOConnor triangle
    I made some changes to the grip area and the stock insertion point and rear sight area. I added something to where the buttstock inserts to more logically indicate a connection. I added some cuts (floaters right now) I also increased the size of the noise around the muzzle. I extended the handguard and didnt like the overall composition of the gun with it. I have some flat areas which need some cutlines or something to fill up the empty space. I will be addressing that now. I will also be adding an ejection chamber cover. I am also considering adding some filler normals like text and boxes in those spaces when I texture.
  • lluc21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    The shapes are looking good, however I would try to put it in the hands of a base human character to check the hands fitment, as the distance from the back of the stock to the grip looks unreasonably long.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Yeah, holding this is going to be super awkard in real life.  Such a long stock.

Unless you LEBRON JAMES

#lakerschampionship2020
  • LukeOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukeOConnor triangle
    This was something I probably should have addressed in block out. I was told by a collogue that the gun looked front heavy, so extending and redesigning the back was an effort to alleviate that. I appreciate you guys helping me make my design better. I sadly can not implement this change right now due to deadlines.  Here is a collection of my high poly AO marmoset beauty shots.
  • LukeOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukeOConnor triangle
    Low Poly and Normal Bake done. 
    I also started my first pass on textures.

• LukeOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukeOConnor triangle
    Got a really cool paintover from Alex Creamer. https://www.artstation.com/alexrcreamer 

So this is the current progress. Still needs a few more passes.
  • LukeOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukeOConnor triangle
    This is The gun's finished/current, textured state

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turned out nice, particularly neat in fact alongside additional insights via colleague's, as well  :+1:

Also liking those bakes further upthread, really clean sharp edges and I suppose marmoset for those?

Plus I'm interested, if you don't mind as to your method of interpreting various materials when transposing or in a sense 'interpolate' when texturing,  for instance polymer, ceramic, metal...etc?

Material research is a 'peculiar' fixation of mine, since contemporary firearm manufacture nowadays employ innovative processes too output product.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Just curious if you used a biped or dummy or downloadable human character to hold the weapon to see how it is used?  I think if weapon artists did that even if its a shadowed human form using alpha's would go a long way in presentations. (but i really have no clue.)

Other than that i like this, getting a strong gas/air powered nail gun vibe (didn't read thread.)
  • LukeOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukeOConnor triangle
    Hey, thank you. I might actually go back and do another texture pass and make it painted metal. And yes, the bake was done in marmoset. And as for the polymer, I used the height from one of  Cortez Productions'  textures from "Guns Essential Materials Vol.1." The height/normal data belonged to "Gun_Polymer_02" incase you wanted to buy the pack and use it. I then went on to add roughness and grunge to it accordingly, but the height and normals definitely helped sell it. I can see myself making some gun textures of my own in substance designer in the near future. 
  • sidrenders
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sidrenders polycounter lvl 3
    damnnnnn reallly cool dude