Replies

• np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
    Update on the piece 
  • np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
    after 3 days struggling with fixing the bake and shading errors, i can finally start texturing this thing

• np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
    More progress on the binoculars i have been working, as always all feedback and comments are appreciated 
  • martintruong
    Offline / Send Message
    martintruong polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work so far. I think some of the edges are a bit too sharp to read well at distance. Some of them are already looks like hard edges.
    Other than that, good work so far and still want to see more progress on the texturing part, since I think you are just done with the base color?
  • np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you for the feedback. Yes I just finish the overal base color and some texture on top, still figuring out what sort of scratch and detail i want. I will look into it.
  • np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
    more progress update on texture work im doing right now, as always all feedback and critic are welcomed

• rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    First I would go with the more saturated colors of the preview from blender.
    Then you might want to think about what story the surfaces should tell. Are they clean, used, weathered, etc. 
    Out of which material? Surface finish?
    Currently it's too much randomness - cloudy spots everywhere.

• np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
    rollin said:
    First I would go with the more saturated colors of the preview from blender.
    Then you might want to think about what story the surfaces should tell. Are they clean, used, weathered, etc. 
    Out of which material? Surface finish?
    Currently it's too much randomness - cloudy spots everywhere.

Hey man thanks for the reply. I plan to redo some of the texture from the basic. Thank you for your kind words
  • np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
    Been a while since my last update, rework the helmet and try to apply layers into the material, with different shade of color to indicate wear and that it has seen some use. Relearn the basic of texturing instead of doing it randomly like I have been doing.
  • np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6

doing a bit more detail work

• Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Its hard for me to guess what materials I see, some things look a bit like plastic but also a bit like it should be painted metal.
  • np1094
  • hossin_asadi
  • np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    You're modeling is solid, your texturing falls flat. Grim and dirt usually collects around cracks and crevices. maybe fingerprints on the binoculars. The roughness is flat and the lighting reacts the same all over the piece. But in real life, we have roughness that differs, some reflects light more then others. And you're entire piece seems like a plastic toy that was dropped in sand for children and was left there for a while, so the sand has dried up and left it's mark on it.

The blood on the front does not make any sense either, if the soldier was hit, should there not be a hole, were the bullet entered?
    Edge hightlight would differ depending on the material. Right now it's very uniform =).

The glass lense could be dirty on the edges and cleaner in the middle, after cleaning.
    maybe even height on the helmet giving it a more plasticfibre material look.

https://www.nvdevices.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/bnvd-2.jpg also see how the hemlet material differs from the binoculars.

httpswwwpewpewtacticalcomwp-contentuploads2020052-Team-Wendy-Bump-Helmet-1024x683jpg
    httpswwwpewpewtacticalcomwp-contentuploads201810PASGT-Kevlar-Helmet-1024x1024jpg

Roughness differs, you've got places reflecting more light then other.

Use real life materials as references to help you build the material. =)

• np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey thanks for the feedback

yeah my texture skills still need work, I plan to go back and redo it at some point.

Hope you bookmark the page for my next upload so you can give your feedback then too.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Very informative critique here!

I'll only add that overall for me it's challenge to judge whether you're aiming for a stylized hand painted aesthetic or otherwise?

Are you working from references?

Because I've some first hand experience with an aligned series of military equipment so just in terms of design coupled with dimensions, this object is really too cumbersome and proportionally way off to plausibly convey it's implied intent?!  
  • np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
    I made it from a reference. I link it in my artstation page.

The concept art itself is only color shading so it is hard to judge the material use but i plan to go for a realistic texture.
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    np1094 said:
    I made it from a reference. I link it in my artstation page.

The concept art itself is only color shading so it is hard to judge the material use but i plan to go for a realistic texture.

So i Am looking at the Concept (reference from mark sanwel) and i can already see that the binoculars have metal, painted metal in his concept. In your finished piece it is not visible or simple not made =). But it's an easy fix!

So do a breakdown of what type of material you could have , i did a really fast one. But i mean do a breakdown of what materials there are on the helmet, then do a breakdown on how each material works, reflection, roughness, scratches and edge details.

• np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
    You are so awesome man, going above and beyond.

I will definitely go back to redo the texture at some point, since i plan to redo the design a bit. I was a bit too rigid before and try to follow the concept one for one and there are many things I miss.

Here is the modified version. I made the binocular more compact, I realize the glass is suppose to be almost flat instead of that weird globe shape I had. And the little wire at the end there is i think some sort of light signal instead of something attach to the helmet. 
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    np1094 said:
    You are so awesome man, going above and beyond.

I will definitely go back to redo the texture at some point, since i plan to redo the design a bit. I was a bit too rigid before and try to follow the concept one for one and there are many things I miss.

Here is the modified version. I made the binocular more compact, I realize the glass is suppose to be almost flat instead of that weird globe shape I had. And the little wire at the end there is i think some sort of light signal instead of something attach to the helmet. 

the glass is acctually curved. "A traditional lens is essentially a curved piece of glass that bends light through a process known as "refraction". Whenever a ray of light travels from one transparent material, such as air, into another transparent material, such as glass, it changes direction (except in the special case of the light's direction being perfectly perpendicular to the interface)" - https://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2013/09/30/why-cant-flat-lenses-focus-light/

• np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
    The one previously stick out a bit much, like 2/3 of a sphere, this one curve is a bit more subtle
  • Unknown_Target
    Offline / Send Message
    Unknown_Target polycounter lvl 6
    Nice hard surface modeling but the design looks extremely heavy, uncomfortably so. Most headgear is meant to be light so it's not a hindrance. 

If you want to keep the bulky look I'd add something on the back of the head to help secure it, because right now it looks like the goggles will just pull your helmet down over your face and off your head. :) 
  • np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man thanks for the feedback. I will probably add the leather strap to help it look more secure, might as well as this point seeing I am pretty much doing an overhaul for the design.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    though the sheer 'bovine' ergonomic design still hurts my eyes, kudos nonetheless for persevering with your original aim and concept. I'd reiterate @wirrexx comments on materials, research is key here in order too encapsulate each disparate component into a cohesive "plausible" functioning thing.

Side note:
    gear I've worked with was susceptible to dust so in turn basically 'soldier proofed' up to a certain point, beyond that - from memory SOP field maintenance/care was also rigidly enforced,

In other words once this is ready for texturing  'story telling' edge wear/scratch/enviro weathering etc...should be subtle, as a hint    

• np1094
    Offline / Send Message
    np1094 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man thanks so much for the feedback. Feeling pretty happy that so many people would take their time to give feedback for my work. Appreciate all the kind words