Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] BFG Highpoly Model - Feedback welcome! :)

Currently a WIP high-poly model for an end-game BFG (Big F'ing Gun), designed to be an over-the-top heavy weapon held on the person's right, with both hands. Critique of the current progress is welcome, and thanks for looking. <3

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    The hp looks nice overall but cant comment more on that in the absence of concept art. For example i dont know what the purple thing is supposed to be. Could be some duct tape or some cables, dunno.
    The top cylindrical parts are a bit too simplistic but maybe that changes in the texture.
    Nice use of floating geo, too bad you didnt use it more often.
    Also, i am having a hard time understanding how would the right hand be holding the gun. The left one is clear but the right seems kinda awkward and hard to do for more than 5 seconds. Just my impression.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator

I made a touch of changes to the gripes, i am not a weapon artist per-say but i feel i agree with the handling comments and thought something like this might look good, obviously you have to put your spin on it, hope it helps.
    I see the back end of it being placed on the hip of the user to give the user more control over the device, so that might need to be changed if you agree.
  • Outphased
    Thanks for the input, all! <3 I appreciate it a lot. The handle is something I actually redid from the original, having put the gun into the hands of our trusty Unreal scaley boi. I eventually decided that the heft of the gun made holding it on one side too unwieldy, but the grip on one side is where I defaulted to as well. I'm no concept artist, nor am I an expert on guns, but this is the mashup I did for the concept, so you can see:

I have also added to the model because I do love me some floaters.

As always, I'm interested in any and all input. :D Thanks!
  • Outphased

Last input for the high-poly. Put in the battery packs in the rear, which I went with the "drill" kind of battery pack feel, and a basket to hold them. Grippies in the handles. Surface details. Capped the cylinder where the other gas tank was removed and I added hooks to hold up the light cable running from front to back. 
  • Arashhadavii
    Offline / Send Message
    Arashhadavii triangle
    Really Good job!

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    BFG...indeed :+1:

like your photobashed concept and pretty much straight forward too unwrap, as well :)
  • Outphased
    The bake.

Having some troubles with the max file. Never made something quite this big. After a little cleanup of the base, I'll get started on textures. 
  • Outphased

Starting textures <3 Some AO still needs taking care of. A couple "white spots" lacking a defined material. Heven't quite decided what to do there, so input is always welcome.
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I like the half life vibe but i think it needs more wear and tear
  • Prime8
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    It's a bit difficult to recognize as a gun, first I thought it's the rear end of a speeder bike, especially the textured version... yeah make a speeder bike out of it, would be awesome :grin:
    Really like the textures and the modelling.