CG Character reel 2020

Replies

• theycallmedualian
    what are you aiming for with your reel? 
  • AshishVerma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshishVerma polycounter lvl 8
    The above Show-reel showcase some of the characters created as personal project over 2019-20.
    Comments and Critiques are appreciated.
  • theycallmedualian
    i am no expert but i dont think it would be wrong to say that, what youve made are too lame to get looks, let alone receiving critiques. 

aim for something, cooler? idk 
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    i am no expert but i dont think it would be wrong to say that, what youve made are too lame to get looks, let alone receiving critiques. 

Yes it is wrong to say that. What purpose has your comment on this forum? Are you giving constructive criticism? Or even any criticism?
    Surely you realise that your petty words come from YOUR frustration and incompetence to create something. You seem to be aware that you are not an expert but are not aware of how far you are from being one. Trashing other peoples work to make yourself feel better is just a tiny temporary high where as getting good at something makes you really feel something and it lasts. Enjoy your ego shots!
  • theycallmedualian
    teodar23 said:

Yes it is wrong to say that. What purpose has your comment on this forum? Are you giving constructive criticism? Or even any criticism?
    Surely you realise that your petty words come from YOUR frustration and incompetence to create something. You seem to be aware that you are not an expert but are not aware of how far you are from being one. Trashing other peoples work to make yourself feel better is just a tiny temporary high where as getting good at something makes you really feel something and it lasts. Enjoy your ego shots!
    im sorry, but you are mistaking my intentions.  i am not being vulgar in any way.

OP posted his reel ike 4 days ago and never received any replies. I bumped his post up to the front with a vague comment to try and get more attentions for him, and as a student myself i'd love to what his work, which is better than anything ive done, measures up to with the professionals here.

but sadly once again OP's post still did not receive replies, which was what led me to believe that his contents are too tame for people to care to look at. Thus i made a remark on the attention-garnering aspect rather than the actual quality of his work; since obviously i am far from being capable of giving any, so i did not. i even added "IDK" at the end because of course i could be wrong about that too. then in that case, OP did not get any replies sheerly due to back luck; even though most demo/portfolio threads here tend to get lots of replies. Regardless, i left my comment in attempt to help OP get more looks, because i figured if no one who qualifies bothers to give OP C&Cs, then as unqualified as i am, maybe at least i could help him get more views. 

hope this resolves any more confusions, and hope OP gets constructive criticisms on his demo. cheers

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    @theycallmedualian In your first post on this thread you called Ashish's work "lame" instead of "tame". If that was a typo let us know, but that might be part of why Teodar 23 thought your first comment was meant as an insult.

@AshishVerma, sorry we didn't realize you were looking for critiques earlier but you didn't specifically ask for a critique in the title or in your first post.

The anatomy and sculpting look pretty good to me, but I'm not a character artist so I don't have much to say about those elements anyway. (although one quick note in that subject: I think crowd man's face deserves more detail and polygons than his hands and jacket do, even if he is meant to be far down on the the L.O.D. chain) I'm going to focus on what I think can be improved for material definition, lighting, and presentation. Areas I have more knowledge in. 

All of your characters seem to have very similar and even roughness values, and they all 'feel' a bit like plastic because of it. Your flying monk for example: The skin, tribal paint, bracelets, and loin cloth all seem to have the same roughness values when realistically the would have different roughness levels, as well variations and specular breakups within each. When I'm working with the roughness channel I sometimes like to experiment a little, trying different values and grunge overlays until I find something that 'feels' right for each material. Then adjust the values based on ware, damage, weathering, dirt accumulation and other factors that would realistically have an effect on a material's roughness values. If you're going for realistic skin I would recommend checking out this guy's methods: https://marmoset.co/posts/creating-realistic-skin-toolbag-saurabh-jethani/ I thought he had a great end result.

Feel free to have more fun and creativity with the lighting. Good lighting can add a lot of color, fun, drama, and life to your final shots. Right now your lighting is fairly plain. In the case of the flying monk and MR. Fantastic it reminds me a lot of the working lights in Maya and Mudbox, possibly because your key light is too centered and too grey in color. The 3 point lighting set up is a tried-and-true method for characters you can use, but there are tons of other great lighting set ups as well, with plenty of tutorials on youtube. You can also pop over to Artstation and look for character art you really like and try to emulate their lighting. Also a good image-based-lighting HDR type of light can help a lot. Of your characters I think Silver Surfer has the most interesting lighting. Do more of that!

Finally presentation. To spice-up the final images (and as TheyCallMeDualian said: "get more views") you could try things like:
    -Creating a simple background that compliments the character's color palette
    -Adding a fun prop or base (like your Silver Surfer)
    -Dynamic poses (like Flying Monk and Silver Surfer)
    -More close-ups of their faces or any other areas you are proud of and want to show off (like Old Man)
    -More wire frames, UV's, texture maps, and other breakdowns to help viewers see all the work you've put in.
    -Adding effects (depending on the character and theme)
    (Again emulating your favorite character artists from Artstation is a good place to start)

I think you have some good stuff, it just needs some polish. Don't lose heart even if someone accidentally calls your work 'lame'.

• AshishVerma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshishVerma polycounter lvl 8
    I am really sorry for replying late as I was a bit busy with other stuff,

@theycallmedualian I agree with @teodar23  on constructive critiques, we all are here to grow and develop better artistic abilities. I wasn't expecting that  a simple character reel where i am trying some stuff out can create such a commotion. 

@JamesBrisnehan thanks a lot for pointing out some of the most important stuff missing from the work I've presented in this reel. I'll definitely work on the areas (material and lighting) you mentioned in my future projects. As an artist I've developed a thick skin which makes me give importance to constructive critiques and feedback that allows me to discover my strengths and ability to work on my weakness.

Thank you all for your comments and critiques.