Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thompson M1A1

Ridergraal
node
I just finished a CGMA class on making weapons and boy was it a wake-up call to how much I was neglecting the basics of Uving and baking, I had a really hard time with it especially baking, I ended up having to use my decimated mesh to texture it, I will try working on improving that area more. I am not entirely happy with the gun but I did learn a significant amount from it. Any feedback would be great 

Replies

• Ridergraal

I changed the lighting to be a bit more dynamic and rotated the wood texture so that it looks more realistic, however, the marmoset renders still seem a bit blurry can't seem to figure out why?

Any other feedback would be great

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    The wood looks unpolished which would not be the case on a gun. The metal is very noisy, try to tone down the contrast and make the surface variation more subtle.
    Lighting should never be just from straight up, you should either add some light from the lower side or tilt the model so that the side gets some light as well.
    The modeling looks ok-ish but i cant say more until i see some wires.
  • Ridergraal
    teodar23 said:
    The wood looks unpolished which would not be the case on a gun. The metal is very noisy, try to tone down the contrast and make the surface variation more subtle.
    Lighting should never be just from straight up, you should either add some light from the lower side or tilt the model so that the side gets some light as well.
    The modeling looks ok-ish but i cant say more until i see some wires.
    Thanks man, the wireframe is a mesh because I couldn’t get it to bake correctly so i had to just use the decimated mesh

I tried to do a three point lightning, is the issue that there is no lightning on the bottom?
  • Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Before you play with lights you should nail the materials first, currently your wood en metal are way off from a actual thompson. Did you use reference images etc? Take a look at the images below and compare them to the materials you currently have.

httpsvistapointenetimagesthompson-submachine-gun-6jpg

httpsvignettewikianocookienetgunsimages887M1921Thompsonpngrevisionlatestcb20190119101931
  • Ridergraal
    Thanks for all the help and replies, I finally got around to playing more with the materials and textures
    I tried to make the lighting a littlle softer and changed the wood and metal textures.
    any feedback would be nice :p
  • Ridergraal
    Wasn't a fan of the lighting so I made it a tad

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Much better :+1:

Now let us see some 'weathering', dirty it up a bit, bro :)

EDIT:
    Ah, lighting needs work too, search various setups for hard surface and/or inside Marmoset, as well.