Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RudelStone polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks a lot for the hint! I'll try it and hope it work well this time~
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

In the midst of porting my workflow to Blender 2.8 with a test asset. I very much like that finally there's no need anymore to use another app to get a quick half-decent preview.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Small update...

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

My Blender 2.8 graduation project going into the final phase.

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Really really nice!

and +1 for blender ;)
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    the legend is back! your work is always inspiring thomas.
  • Minyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minyi polycounter lvl 4
    That's amazing. I truly respect those who can create 3D models like you :)
  • SeanWink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeanWink polycounter lvl 3
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Wonderful work Thomas!
    Are you baking out the hair textures in Blender as well?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Thanks guy, much appreciated. It has been a long time indeed.

@bkost Not for this one - baked in Marmoset. Not expecting much I only recently checked out baking with Blender and looks like from now on I am definitely going to use it (the baking environment that comes with Hair Tool). Should speed up things quite a bit!

• renanfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renanfab polycounter lvl 11
    I just came here to say : OMG this is looking freaking awesome
  • Carlos Eduardo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlos Eduardo polycounter lvl 5
    @thomasp , such an amazing work! Congratulations! Beautiful!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

Totally forgot to post the finished results -

And I unearthed a picture of the sculpt -

• ranzcross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranzcross polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Thomas, Awesome work ! and always inspired by your attention to details and your techniques! and i'm curious to know, what process did you do on Blender (Modelling, texturing, uv, etc), and does the Rendering also in Blender or is these in Marmoset ?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Cheers, this was my project to move from the older style Blender to 2.8 so everything was done in it and I adjusted my setup/scripts as I went along.

The render is Eevee. It's actually the look of the model in the viewport with an image plane placed behind it - no extra setup - which is what I was after (no more exporting to Marmoset for client previews to have assets look presentable).

I found Eevee also a bit superior for presenting hair (which is most of my work these days) because the contact shadows actually work in there. :) You can mimick an engine look a bit more easily whereas Marmoset has overall higher image quality but you are wrestling with the shadow settings. At least I tend to.

• ranzcross
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ranzcross polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, all using Blender! i'm a max user, and adapting to Blender for modelling, UV, and even sculpting would require time and patience. But you helped me to see that it's worth to try to look into again. Thanks for sharing your workflow, Thomas!~
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Here are a few shots from Marmoset of something I'm currently busy with -

The head is just a random doodle of mine I had laying around but the hair was transferred from an entirely different mesh I'm actually working with (Daz 3D). I'm quite happy how that turned out (via surface deform). Some minor bugs still need resolving.

• bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Are those cards, Thomas?! If so, my mind is blown! If not, it's still exceptional
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    How about: those are exceptionally many cards. :)

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Did another of those hairstyles - texture reused from the one before. Will look into changing that at some point.

Oh and this is what I'm working with - the CVs for everything minus the hair cap. Might look a little intense but it's a million times easier than tweaking polygons to me.

• JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    Awesome. Is was it made in blender too, with hair tool ? The skin texture is from photo or hand sculpted?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    @JoseConseco Hey, sure it was done with your addon. :)

The head is all manual with some custom detail brushes.
  • floon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Great stuff as usual Thomas! Thanks for sharing
  • JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    There is option to generated interpolated child curve, so you could used  one tenth of the hair I think (unless what you show above are the already generated curves, and not the guide particle hair).
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    There is option to generated interpolated child curve, so you could used  one tenth of the hair I think (unless what you show above are the already generated curves, and not the guide particle hair).
    Yeah that's all my hair curve CV's, I don't really do the particle styling thing in Blender (yet - feature request incoming). :)

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Added a short-ish beard that is suitable for up-close viewing. Am currently exploring how to do different density/grey whiskers/salt & pepper look without reworking the model each time.

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
  • GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3
    These are all so nice, All these hairstyles would you eventually convert them too cards from this? 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    These are all so nice, All these hairstyles would you eventually convert them too cards from this? 
    Yeah, these have already been converted and warped onto the head I'm showing them on. These are shots from Marmoset.
    The curves are only used on a different shaped head I'm working with.
  • GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp said:
    Yeah, these have already been converted and warped onto the head I'm showing them on. These are shots from Marmoset.
    The curves are only used on a different shaped head I'm working with.
    Wow, i could not tell that is amazing. 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Well the shot further up with the many CVs - that's curves in Blender with a geometry profile, UVs and textures assigned, similar workflow to e.g. in Max when you use splines and turn on viewport rendering.

So what I'm working with is never actually a proper hair system that I style - in case you were assuming that. I'm just using some of that styling functionality that comes with hair systems early on to get the overall look, then convert the hair to curves with profiles assigned and then simply move CVs around instead of having to poly model. Converting to hair cards is just a byproduct of collapsing the stack.

• GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gosh that sounds complicated an i dont understand the half of it, hairs very new too me but the results really are astoundingly gorgeous. 
  • FabioFrosaA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FabioFrosaA polycounter lvl 2
    This is great, it amazes me how you can make any hairstyle look natural.
    I am amateur Blender user. I'm trying to get my head around something here... so you make the hair with curves with geometry profile then you bake them into hair cards, right? But how is that? Do you manually place the hair cards and select the hair with groups individually baking them into the cards or is that somehow automated.
    Excuse me if the question may be too off. I know nothing about hair, only about baking maps from one model into another.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    nice stuff looks quite natural
    . gave up on hair, waay too frustrating and technical. easy enough to get a  nice style in blender, but by the time you got it to poly planes it looks naff( well mine do anyway :)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    This is great, it amazes me how you can make any hairstyle look natural.
    I am amateur Blender user. I'm trying to get my head around something here... so you make the hair with curves with geometry profile then you bake them into hair cards, right? But how is that? Do you manually place the hair cards and select the hair with groups individually baking them into the cards or is that somehow automated.
    Excuse me if the question may be too off. I know nothing about hair, only about baking maps from one model into another.

Thanks! And no - these curve profiles are the actual hair card geometry with a texture already mapped on to them. I'm mainly focused at making the geometry styling/groom process manageable, even with many hair cards so it can be used in production without prohibitively long asset creation times or the inability to tweak if a change request comes in late.
    I don't care much for the hair texture, that's the easy stuff. Some people seem to still hand paint them to this day even. I just bake them from curves into texture passes in another scene altogether, similar to all those xGen tutorials you can find these days.

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Ruz said:
    nice stuff looks quite natural
    . gave up on hair, waay too frustrating and technical. easy enough to get a  nice style in blender, but by the time you got it to poly planes it looks naff( well mine do anyway :)
    Cheers. In my view the technical hurdles just add a bit of spice to keep the whole thing interesting. In comparison I get sleepy at the thought of doing yet another sculpt. Haven't done any full bodies in years. Too straight forward! :)

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    problem is I could spend i month making a hairstyle that I am not happy with , never seems to be a finished product

blender is pretty cool for hair , though I wish they had 'align to surface' like in maya( for the poly planes)
    I think it was the twist brush or similar in xgen that did this.Blender just has a 'tilt' option, but you can't align them to parent mesh automatically?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Yes you can align but that's in the Hair Tool addon. Tilt and scale on a CV selection basis are pretty damn powerful though. Most of my time goes into tweaking the details anyway.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers for that, yeah was putting off buying that addon :) seems pretty useful really
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I'd love to see your process tutorialised. You're a well-known hair meister, I reckon you'd make a small fortune if you sold it on Artstation / gumroad if that interests you at all. I can guarantee you at least one customer (me).
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    I'd love to see your process tutorialised. You're a well-known hair meister, I reckon you'd make a small fortune if you sold it on Artstation / gumroad if that interests you at all. I can guarantee you at least one customer (me).

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Yeah I did look into doing a tutorial since I do receive questions about my method here or there but a) never done any vids before so would probably be looking at a lot of editing and generally learning by doing. And b) I work regularly with hair artists on commercial projects and have never ever met anybody who uses Blender. :)
    It's Maya or bust from the looks of it. And my method is probably not feasible outside Blender anyway. At least not the crucial details.

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth

thomasp said:

And b) I work regularly with hair artists on commercial projects and have never ever met anybody who uses Blender. :)
    It's Maya or bust from the looks of it. And my method is probably not feasible outside Blender anyway. At least not the crucial details.

That's why I'm interested. Everyone seems to use Xgen which looks like a messy pipeline that generates some textures but needs others baked elsewhere, etc.etc.  I own the Blender hair tool but never get a chance to use it in production (I'm perpetually doing stylised stuff with sculpted hair these days). I also picked up Oliver Lau's Hair and Fur TG for substance designer which seems like a one-stop shop for non-destructive hair textures. I  reckon between the two of them you could get a pretty slick bakeless workflow going.

• Sergey Romanenko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sergey Romanenko polycounter lvl 10
    Hi guys!
    This is a real-time character for game Raid: Shadow Legends
    15k tris, 2k map
    Plarium, 2020
    Concept art by Valentin Demchenko

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @Sergey Romanenko The model looks fantastic! Great execution, but...why did you post this in thomas' sketchbook thread?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    LOL, just got the emails.

I claim it hereby. It's officially mine now. Front page count+1. Have a nice day! :p
  • Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    @Sergey Romanenko I was starting to think Polycount was bugged sending me to this thread lol
    Nice model though, I'm surprised of how good it looks with only 15k tris
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hahaha My bad didn't realize he wasn,t the owner's thread when I frontpaged,
    @thomasp well at least it might have brought  more people into your thread...I guess
    @Sergey Romanenko I'm removing the front page for now, You should be making your own thread and not posting in thomas :)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Here's my latest work. Please front page ASAP.

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Wow has it been another year or what. During a cleanout of old Unreal projects I found some screenshots I took while working on characters for 'Gylt'. 2018 vintage.

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character