Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Conan's start

Hello all, my name is Conan.  I'm a recent college graduate looking to get into the video game industry doing concept art for characters.  My dream is to one day create and develop my own video game. After some research (interviews, networking, and just looking online) I realize that I have a lot of work to do.  Seeing and reading about some others here on poly count has emboldened me to take the next step; get critiques, something I dearly miss from my college classes.  I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback, critique, tips and tricks.  
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Alchemical
    Offline / Send Message
    Alchemical polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man, welcome!

You've got some cool and original designs for your first post. Vivid colours and plenty of ideas contained within. However, to me they are very hard to read and understand. You've taken these into maximum overdrive which in turn makes it harder to make out their design. The colour and amount of details strain my eyes. The least offenders to this is the marine-looking fella and our beast to the right.

Don't know if this is common in your work and admittedly I am at a disadvantage in that I don't know what these designs are for and where they fit in; but I hope those pointers are of use to you.

In regards to where you want to go: What is your plan? Where do you want to take your design-work specifically? Set up what you want to achieve, plan backwards from there until you move ahead. This is no road I've seen the end of but I find doing this has kept me on track so far and helped me get quickly back in after any set-backs. I'm sure you will recieve a lot of sound advice on getting your foot in the door from the others.

Looking forward to seeing more!
  • Cobarbaro
    Hey Alchemical,
    Thank you very much for the response and the critique! It is very valuable and valid.  I see now how I got a little carried away on the detail.  Will post back later with adjustments.  
  • Cobarbaro
    Heyo all! Heres an update on one of the character designs.  I went back and removed the textures, did a value and color study.  Wondering if this reads better.  Thanks in advance for feedback!
  • Alchemical
    Offline / Send Message
    Alchemical polycounter lvl 6
    That looks a lot better and reads so much clearer!  You've also built up a great colour scheme here with a clear Primary, Secondary and Accent colour. It's not necessary but I'd recommend a darker or more discrete colour instead of yellow on the launchers to make the lime green on the armour pop with contrast (or the opposite.). It depends on what you want to pull attention to.

Your value study came along nicely but I'd recommend you go back and increase the contrast even further! I only see two values at the moment. You've also got a potential second lightsource to play around with your lime green lights. Get some bouncelight in there!

Keep 'em coming!
  • Cobarbaro
    Thanks for the feedback...I tried to incorporate some bounce light and further updated the design.  Soon to start working on the others as I feel this guy is at a good place. 
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Really cool blue guy, one thing is standing out to me 1 that i do not understand and 2 is odd.
    Those metal rectangle stitching's/staples ? what are they, and what does it look like without those.  
  • Cobarbaro
    Hey David, appreciate the feedback.  The staple looking stuff are meant to be kinda jutting metal structures for defense, kinda like spikes on armor with the less aggressive look.  I can see though how those will be confusing and will think about finding reference of something in real life or removing them all together.
  • Cobarbaro

Heyo all.  Been reworking the red guy to hopefully make it more clear and concise.  Feedback and critique much appreciated.