Home Technical Talk

Hard surface maya to zbrush baking

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
efwfew16 polycounter lvl 3
Hi,
I'm trying to make  sense of the workflow from low poly to high poly.
Basically here is one of my model:
My goal is to bring this into zbrush and just trim some edges to make it looks old.
My initial thought would be to UV in maya --> bring fbx into zbrush to  work on it --> bake the high poly from zbrush onto the low poly in substance painter
Heres a 2seconds work I did just to show the goal :

However, if I don't triangulate the fbx, it has hole in the model (I suspect not enough polygon ?). But when I triangulate it, i have to dynamesh it back into zbrush, and i'm losing the hard surface part. I tried modeling it into zbrush but it seems like I could be able to do it in maya ?
I tried to model the  high poly into zbrush, then zremesh it but it doesn't look good. What about doing the high poly into zbrush and bring it back into maya for retopology ?

Also, would  substance painter be able to bake the trimmed edge ? Does it have displacement ? I'm losing my mind over something that looks really basic. I'm really sorry to post something this stupid, I'm reading up on this post (https://polycount.com/discussion/107196/youre-making-me-hard-making-sense-of-hard-edges-uvs-normal-maps-and-vertex-counts) meanwhile
Thanks

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Triangulate your mesh once you export - any strangely shaped quads/n-gons will just be rendered as a hole in zbrush and it'll give you warnings/errors. Once triangulated, you can dynamesh it to get a high resolution to sculpt. If by 'losing the hard surface part', you mean losing the soft bevels, you can smooth your edges using the smooth brush, or polish by crisp edges slider under deformation.

Better yet, the faster and easier solution is to model the sub-d/highpoly mesh in maya, and export that into zbrush to be sculpted/dynameshed further.
    efwfew16 said:
    I tried to model the  high poly into zbrush, then zremesh it but it doesn't look good. What about doing the high poly into zbrush and bring it back into maya for retopology ?
    Seems inefficient to "model" it in zbrush, just to bring it into maya to retopo.. If your comfortable making the high res in maya, just do that, and import that into zbrush to have a wear/damage pass (can dynamesh the highpoly to get more resolution, while maintaining your soft bevels from Maya).

efwfew16 said:
    Also, would  substance painter be able to bake the trimmed edge ? Does it have displacement ? 
    Substance can bake it just fine, does not bake displacement however.
  • efwfew16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    efwfew16 polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks, it worked!