Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Finished character model, would like some feedback/critique (specifically the face)?

polycounter lvl 2

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hello! If you want us to be able to help I suggest posting:
    • Renders of your wireframe,
    • your high poly/sculpt,
    • unposed character,
    • and what programs you've used here (for the render, for modelling, for the high poly, for texturing)
    Right now it's tough to nail down exactly what the issues are or how to help you fix 'em. :)

• Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    The eyes are nice and I like the small wrinkles around them.

The Mouth looks kinda flat especially his mouth corners.
    The Beard looks to transparend, would be nice to see your textures.
    Material wise I cant really see a difference between the fabric and leather parts because the roughness values are almost identical.

The medal on his jacket could be also a mesh to create depth, sure when this is a character for an third person game and you cant zoom in really close then a texture is fine.
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    There's so much grime going on in the texture that with this harsh light it's hard to see the shapes properly. A different render with an added soft ambient light and more neutral texture or none would be ideal. In any case I made a stinky overpaint to explain some points. I hope it helps!

My advice is to practice neutral faces first to really nail down some key aspects needing a bit of extra attention, then move on to expressions because they're a whole can of worms.

Anatomy

- The upper eyelid is extending too far into the temples direction. The eyelid crease happens here due either the shape created by the upper eyelid wrapping around the eyeball or the presence of fat or loose skin in the region between it and the eyebrow when it's hooded or more characteristically asian or from someone older, etc.
    - There's a huge distance between the eye and the outer crest / peak of the eye socket. I feel if you narrowed and better defined the temples and widened the jaw a bit the face would look more balanced.
    - A bit of extra definition on that region which follows the bottom of the eye socket and blends into the cheeks would also make the area more interesting.
    - The hard crease between nose and cheeks is unnatural, doubly so due the expression.
    - The tip of the nose in particular also seems off. Right now there's the super defined frontal part of it blending shapelessly into the rest of the nose. Look up diagrams of the cartilage in this area.
    - The mouth is pretty flat at the corners, and the volume underneath it isn't supporting it as it's supposed to do.

Expression

I included the usual markers for an anger / disgust expression in the second image. You'll often see a cluster of them because some happen as the consequence of another marker. You don't have to use all of them, but some fundamental ones are missing or need more work to really sell the emotion, mainly the nose/cheek wrinkles and lip curl / chin tension.

• Gussketchbook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gussketchbook polycounter lvl 2
    thanks for the help guys, especially Birb. Yea I couldnt understand why the detail from the sculpt wasnt being shown through, so thanks for pointing that out for me, I'll bring the grunge down alot next time.
  • Gussketchbook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also heres the sculpt, I think the hair might be translucent because I used faces instead of tubes:
  • Gussketchbook
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also my aim wasnt to make him angry I'm not good enough at expressions yet to do that. I was aiming more for stoic, which is easier to achieve.