Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Alien³ Bambi Burster

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pwwka polycounter lvl 4

I want to make as accurate a model I can of the "Bambi Burster" puppet used during the '91 shoot. There is limited reference available, and the images I have are confusing as to whether certain elements are design or simple puppet wear-and-tear. I'm trying out a method of tool projection (below) to achieve the bio-mech look of the design. This means using the subdiv levels of multiple tools to project form onto a larger mesh. I'll report back on how this method pans out. Please chime in with advice regarding HQ reference sources or technique.

Replies

• Pwwka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pwwka polycounter lvl 4

So using Subtools to preserve curves in this way really works. You can quickly UV these tools and preserve information on them (like the corrugated tubing). There is a lot of projection going on, but I don't know of any other way to model something half "mechanical", half organic like this. 

• Pwwka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pwwka polycounter lvl 4

Another progress report and this projecting technique is really schooling me in the mysteries of projection in ZB - what those abstract (!) measurements mean to a mesh scaled to the floor grid. Making macro adjustments of scale and posture mean that you have to transform your projection "sources" accordingly, but its really not that big a deal. Projecting onto these source meshes gives you the freedom to integrate them in areas, having them "disappear" into other forms etc. Perfect for the biomechanoid test subject...

• Pwwka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pwwka polycounter lvl 4
    I'm calling the sculpting done on this. Now I just need to texture it...

• Pwwka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pwwka polycounter lvl 4
    Quick ZBrush Normal Map bake and over to the Substance Designer iray Renderer. Such a a shame that the sculpting base mesh is rarely practical as an animated mesh - it would all be so easy, as the quality of the actual normal map is perfect. Unfortunately the sculpting base mesh isn't a great architecture for the normal map (look at that jagged profile...)  Now all I have to do is make a whole new mesh...

• Pwwka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pwwka polycounter lvl 4
    A few mesh tweaks later, a few more textures, an added inner mandible (trust me), and the mesh is pretty much complete. I just need to rig the thing.

• Pwwka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pwwka polycounter lvl 4
    Final (Keyshot) renders of the High Poly