Home Technical Talk

Request with help to understand why creasing works this way with edge loops

I’m having a difficult time understanding why edge creasing is working this way, is anyone able to elaborate why it doesn’t crease on the left with the outer edges selected:

I can't wrap my head around why with an edge loop, creasing the outer edges doesn't hold its shape but doing the interconnected edges pulls them in. Would appreciate some further information if anyone has some.

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    I think when you crease with with polygons vs edges that have no surrounding geometry, its interpolating the edges with two different contexts (polygons border edges get creased works, but not able to crease border edges).

In Max, there's a check mode to interp. edges as you'd expect.
  • Yogifi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d said:
    I think when you crease with with polygons vs edges that have no surrounding geometry, its interpolating the edges with two different contexts (polygons border edges get creased works, but not able to crease border edges).

In Max, there's a check mode to interp. edges as you'd expect.

Thank you. Max does seem to always have an answer to things.

I'm going to think of it as the intermediate edges cause the edges to flow around the object and sucks them in, to suck them out, got to crease those suck edges.

But are you saying this only applies with boundry edges?

With an offset extrude, the edges seem to go in the opposite way that I would have expected:

:s ehh...it's like learning a language

I guess since they are already flowing around that loop, creasing the edge drags them further in from the outside....no... those are (inner) border loops going the opposite way...'

I guess my takeaway will be, try creasing the corner edges with edge loops.

So above they are going inwards when you crease them. But if you crease the outer corner edges, creasing the inner boundry edges now pulls them out like you'd expect:

I'm so confused.

And if we add another offset, it behaves as you would expect when trying the same thing, but the 3rd edge loop from the outside still goes in the opposite way .... :S