Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I'd like some advice on lighting

To start, I'd like to say that I'm already aware that this model is really bad (got zbrush a few days ago) and that i didn't spend very long on it, but that isn't really what this post is about.

What I'd like help with is improving the lighting. As it stands, the image appears very flat even though the model itself isn't. I think that happened because all I used to light the scene was an hdri and nothing else.

My goal is to show off the model's form and maybe to get a whimsical, zany look (though that would surely take more than just changing the lighting).

It was sculpted and painting in zbrush, then rendered in blender (cycles) if that matters.

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Check out some YouTube tutorials on 3 point lighting. That should help you with your depth. Rendering from a 3/4 view might help a bunch too.
  • tysiu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tysiu keyframe
    I don't know what's the norm, but hdri look better with more realistic stuff, and for stylized models it might be better to add your own light.

Here are some tutorials from youtube on lighting in blender.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0uc4sRArjE
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDbrOpnIY7Q
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=bum0F00TaKU
    Also experiment a lot, change between different light types, colours, sizes and angles and see which one works the best.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    you might also consider the shader as well. Rather than PBR, maybe something flat or cell shaded.
  • BohSheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    Hey! Can you specify in more detail so that we can help you better? :)
    Renderer , Mesh in viewport , shader ,etc.

All I can tell for now is avoid HDRI for final render unless you are trying to blend the Subject to an environment . 
    You cant get artistic control for lighting from HDRI , such as falloff , softness , angle etc . BUT , they can be useful for finding mood .

As pointed out from Ashervisalis , 3 point lighting is the most basic form of setup you can do . If you are lost , just use 3 point .
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    BohSheh said:
    You cant get artistic control for lighting from HDRI...

I thought the intent of using an HDRI skybox was for ambient light + reflections. Still got to use regular lights in conjunction, right?

• BohSheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    @Alex Javor
    Exactly , but people who are new to lighting tends to use HDRI as one way solution . I had seen many of it .