Home Career & Education

Critique and Career Advice

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Mr_Nova polycounter lvl 4
Hello, I believe this is my second post on here but I think it's important I get insight from professionals (or people with relevant experience in the industry) on how I could maybe improve my path to getting my foot in the door in the industry, primarily being a 3D artist in game development.
Furthermore just how my portfolio looks? how it's presented, what can I do to improve on? so on... 

I'm a junior student in Digital Media Arts,  I haven't really been taught anything to a high level from my school so most of my learning is from my partner who is basically my mentor and on top of school i'm doing personal work for my portfolio. Currently, I'm learning and further improving my 3D modeling skills, I've been practicing sculpting in ZBrush and learning forms, alongside human anatomy and sculpting a full human skeleton in my own time (because my school doesn't teach me anything about this stuff, which is really sad but I can't do too much about it except rely on myself.) I've applied to be an 3D Artist intern at a couple of places but I haven't been accepted to anywhere currently, but that doesn't bother me, just means keep improving and building my work and apply again later. The lack of feedback from places denying me just makes me wonder what i'm missing or need work on (I don't have a big portfolio, I understand that) but any feedback would help out a lot because all I want is to improve and be better overall for it. 

Thank you in advance, I look forward to any feedback I get.

Portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/dmpickle

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Character-wise, your art style is very niche. If you want to increase your chances of landing a character art job, you're going to need to expand your style and show you can match other styles. Your portfolio is missing showing off your wireframes and UV mapping. Your glock model is alright, but the you should spend a lot more time on texturing it. When showing wireframes, show quads, not tris. The way you presented the grenades is how you should be presenting all of your stuff, just throw a wireframe snapshot on top of the maps, so an employer can see how good at UV mapping you are. I think you need to pick characters or environment/hard surface, and get really good at one. Keep going, I like your art!
  • Mr_Nova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis understandable, I agree with expanding my style, I've still got a lot to learn and to form a style for say but I will be adding more characters (2 are in the works right now.) I also agree on the wireframe display, the grenades were my first attempt at lowpoly modeling and UV work but yes I will be displaying my work like that from now on. I think I will be leaning towards hardsurface/props and definitely doing characters personally, and thank you! I appreciate the feedback and will continue learning and growing myself as an artist. 
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    My experience on the 3D side of the industry is tangential at best so take this with a grain of salt.

Besides picking a specialization you need to prune your portfolio from unrelated disciplines. If you're not angling for a position as a 2D artist don't include 2D artwork in it. Anything that doesn't contribute to your portfolio and/or doesn't communicate your competency in the position you're seeking should be out of the spotlight. It's just noise that makes hiring managers look at a different portfolio.

Having few pieces isn't an issue with 3D portfolios. In fact the tendency seems to be fewer, very well polished and presented projects, with wireframes and maps as Ashervisalis said for at least a good chunk of models. I'll add that when creating a portfolio piece you should think in what practical application it would have in the industry you're aiming for. If it's games, and let's say you pick environments, then create models that show it. Create props, rooms, materials, show how your skillset can be applied to a game. Right now your portfolio has a strong storytelling bent and it's not like games aren't a medium to telling stories, but it's done differently. If a work doesn't look like to belongs into a game then it should be removed; place it into a blog, share it on social media, but don't let it be an opportunity for the hiresperson alt tab away. The amount of time they can dedicate for every application is limited, make good use of it.

My suggestion is to practice to get a stronger grasp on seeing a model through start to end, getting comfortable with your processes and tools—because once working you won't have the time to figure them out—and producing strong artworks communicating the job you want.

Once you produce a number of works of the right specialization don't skimp on presentation. You need to:
    1 - Ensure the subject of the artwork is clear at a glance.
    2 - Keep that glance there!

Read up on lighting for photography, study how other artists are presenting their works and try your best to display yours in a way that sells it. Presentation can make or break a portfolio.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    If you want to apply to a small local indie studio and become a jack of all trades then its ok to have all kinds of stuff on your portfolio, if you want to get a job at a bigger studio then you will need a more specialized portfolio. I would remove the 2D stuff. Your characters are very simple and have a specific style, for a character artist position you need to be able to show that you understand anatomy and can create humans + clothing. The grenades could use better  textures, the stun grenade looks very damaged and its not even the type of damage a  grenade would have. The glock is salvageable, currently it could use a geo update and better textures but what you have is a good base to update from. As it stands your portfolio does not match the industry standard so even finding a internship will be hard.

I would recommend picking a specialization and only focus on that, pick the thing that you enjoy the most. Keep in mind that character art will probably take the longest to master.
  • Mr_Nova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @birb @Zi0 (i'll combine this into one comment relevant for both of your responses) I agree, now having looked more purposely at Zi0's portfolio, I see that it is precise and simple and contains weapons (weapon artist, so that makes sense.) I see that I made a mistake including a mix of 2D and 3D in my portfolio, so I removed the 2D image and once I gather more models with proper display and all that, I will be adding them and kinda phase out older things that perhaps don't suit what i'm aiming for. 

I know going for characters will require a lot more study, along with learning anatomy and proper proportions, etc. which I am currently doing, right now i'm sculpting a full skeleton and then will be using that as a foundation to create organic models. Marvelous Designer will come... Don't own it yet, but one step at time, better to learn sculpting first I suppose. Following up with that, now that I have learned lowpoly modeling finally I do plan on returning to my older glock and making it better (adjusting High poly, making low poly, actual textures, etc.) along with attachments. 

I appreciate the feedback a lot, and I will take the advice you've given and improve my current and future work. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter