Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED][UE4] Steampunk Capsule

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Vizimir polycounter lvl 3
Hello,

I started to work on a new project, this time I wanted to go with a steampunk theme. At the begining it started as the steampunk bank vault but as the idea unfold itself during the process, it transformed into mysterious steampunk capsule. I decided to put it in old victorian factory environment as a place where capsules like this were made. The story is that the factory doesn't produce these things for a very long time (building will be in bad condition and looks abandoned) but someone recovered one of the capsule (it will be in good shape) and want to get inside it to discover what it keep inside.

My main goal in this project is to learn Blender and Quixel Mixer.

Feel free  to post your feedback and critique.

Final Image:

So, concepts of capsule:

And UE4 blockout:

Replies

• Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

I got some progess to show with this one. I made modular kit of brick walls to build the architecture of the room with paintable damage to the walls by vertex painitng. Also made first pass with the lighting, skylight and directional light atm, I want to make a "golden hour" scenario for the scene and propably I will test additional light sources from the bit destroyed roof.

With this project I started to learn blender(I'm rather cormfortable with it now after making all the modular pieces) and quixel mixer (it is nice but I think substance gives much more flexibility to material creation or maybe I have to learn it more).

Next I will work on steel structure and the roof.

Anyway, some screenshots, let me know what you think:

• Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, 
    another quick update to my scene, I made steel structure to the walls and make second pass for the lighting.
    Next I'm going to model the roof and steel trusses.

• Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

I got small update for my scene, i modelled the roof. The holes in roof coating are made with usage of vertex painting and opacity mask, unfortunately it doesn't work with lightmass ( meshes cast shadows like without mask) and I ended with adding additional dynamic light to cast proper shadows.

• Marterion
    That looks amazing! Im excited to see it finished i would add some Gears at the walls so it gets even more Steampunky
  • Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Initialy I thought about adding some gears on one wall but I was afraid it would clutter the scene and be competition to the capsule, maybe I should at least blockout some of gears on the wall and see how it will go. Probably I'm not goona finish it soon though, I started a new job and have very little time for side projects now, but I'm determined to finish this one someday. Stay Tuned :)
  • Djanki
    Not a lot to add, just wanted to say It looks great so far. I love the window texturing and the lighting.

Not sure If the actual generator is just a placeholder but If it isn't I think you can get away with adding some more polys to kill some of the faceting going on in the silhouette. Otherwise It's looking great!
  • Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx!
    Yes, the capsule in the middle is just placeholder mesh, the final model will be based on concept sketch I posted in the first post.
  • Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, 
    I made some progress with my scene. I created a blockout of all of remained assets (and redesigned some of them) to better understand scope of the project and plan work ahead. Also played a bit with the lighting and camera shots. Finally I added some background models on the exterior. Let me now what you think, critique welcome.

• Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, 
    today I got a small update to my scene, I modeled steel deck, doors and tweaked the colors a bit.
    Probably I will add some more decals onto the big gate, for now its a bit uniform I think. 
    In next step I finally gonna work on the capsule.

• Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

finally I managed to make some progress on my scene and finish the main capsule. 
    Next I'm going to model machines on the wall.

Let me know what you think:

• Skinner3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    Looks good so far. The most current pick has orange lights on the walls. Its odd because they dont have a source.
  • Vizimir
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

So I finished the scene! I resigned from modelling some smaller props and filled the scene with some quixel megascans assets. Let me know what you think.

Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lxQg6O

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yli8AVnqfk

Final images:

Cheers!
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Wow, that looks great.