Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Looking for very harsh critiques and roasts for my scene, Alchemy workshop!

I'll be using an alpha to make the ground and wall fade out around the scene.
The flames and bubbles inside the alchemy thingies are all animated using niagara.

Here's the original conecept.

Thanks a bunch !

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Big part of game art is modeling with efficiency to meet demands of realtime engines. So if you show wireframes and texture layouts as well you'll get the full deal.

About the art, only thing I can say is that I think you missed the tone of the concept. Setting the props in a dark dungeon is fine, but I think you should brighten the values of the textures and maybe up the contrast on the edge highlights in order to push the cartoony tone more than a realistic tone. Thats just my opinion of course, maybe you try it and it dont look right but I think right now it just looks a bit flat and grim compared to the original.

Also, about your presentation, it is like you are a shy about showing the work you've done. At least half the image is tiling background walls. :)   No reason to show all that empty space. I bet there is a way you can show off your diorama with more drama, wit, flair, style... have fun with it.
  • jaddeeb
    Big part of game art is modeling with efficiency to meet demands of realtime engines. So if you show wireframes and texture layouts as well you'll get the full deal.

About the art, only thing I can say is that I think you missed the tone of the concept. Setting the props in a dark dungeon is fine, but I think you should brighten the values of the textures and maybe up the contrast on the edge highlights in order to push the cartoony tone more than a realistic tone. Thats just my opinion of course, maybe you try it and it dont look right but I think right now it just looks a bit flat and grim compared to the original.

Also, about your presentation, it is like you are a shy about showing the work you've done. At least half the image is tiling background walls. :)   No reason to show all that empty space. I bet there is a way you can show off your diorama with more drama, wit, flair, style... have fun with it.
    I got roasted on the images being small earlier too haha! I hope this update fixed it!
    I took a lot of shorcuts as I proceeded with this project so some stuff are perfectly uv'd and baked and others are a little rushed so I'm not that keen on doing so honestly haha! I'll defo showcase some of the high/low poly's when I finish the thing!

I was going for a less stylized'ish vibe but I definitely agree with the cartoony vibes, especially since that's just texture work so it won't hurt my head alot! 

Thanks a bunch <3
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I caught this over in the GameTextures Discord and figured I'd give what you asked for.

The previous comment about the lack of edge highlights is spot on. Some of that can come from smart lighting, but most of that is going to need to come from your texture work. Also agree with wires/textures/mats, especially if you're newer (sorry, maybe you're a pro IDK)

Much of the prop materials seem overly glossy (so not enough roughness difference), even more so on the close ups. Like, the wood on the table and the metal supports/trims read as if they are the same reflective value. 

Parchment is a tad thick for my taste.

The scene layout is too compressed. I'd spread it out a little bit more and break form the concept slightly to give this a bit more life-it's so compact right now, give everything a bit of space to breathe. Along the same lines, maybe have  one of those books open to expand the story a bit more (moar research!!) 

I'd not use a stone floor. Maybe a rug or straw on dirt, or marble or...something to add visual interest. The wall and the floor blend into one another, and the difference in stone type actually makes it more visually noisy. You have mostly horizontal reads on the back wall (works great!) and vertical reads with cracks and noise on the floor. Swap it for something that can reduce visual noise and help add another dimension to your work.

Don't like the blue flame, go back to orange (to match your lights too).

So harshness aside, your work is solid and you don't have any issues with that. At this point it's making sure your materials read a bit better and adjusting elements that can make your scene pop. 
  • jaddeeb
    I caught this over in the GameTextures Discord and figured I'd give what you asked for.

The previous comment about the lack of edge highlights is spot on. Some of that can come from smart lighting, but most of that is going to need to come from your texture work. Also agree with wires/textures/mats, especially if you're newer (sorry, maybe you're a pro IDK)

Much of the prop materials seem overly glossy (so not enough roughness difference), even more so on the close ups. Like, the wood on the table and the metal supports/trims read as if they are the same reflective value. 

Parchment is a tad thick for my taste.

The scene layout is too compressed. I'd spread it out a little bit more and break form the concept slightly to give this a bit more life-it's so compact right now, give everything a bit of space to breathe. Along the same lines, maybe have  one of those books open to expand the story a bit more (moar research!!) 

I'd not use a stone floor. Maybe a rug or straw on dirt, or marble or...something to add visual interest. The wall and the floor blend into one another, and the difference in stone type actually makes it more visually noisy. You have mostly horizontal reads on the back wall (works great!) and vertical reads with cracks and noise on the floor. Swap it for something that can reduce visual noise and help add another dimension to your work.

Don't like the blue flame, go back to orange (to match your lights too).

So harshness aside, your work is solid and you don't have any issues with that. At this point it's making sure your materials read a bit better and adjusting elements that can make your scene pop. 
    My man that sounds solid as hell!

Didn't quite get the roughness comment earlier but now I get that it needs more variation and grunges (will stylize ofc)

I'll only pass the parchment because I can't be bothered to readjust the low poly that much haha!

I love the idea of spreading out! I'll give it a go with the book aswell!

I totally see what you mean with the floor aswell, I just wanted to dip something quick because it wasn't my main focus, but afterall it's a part of the scene and would definitely go for making it better! I'll give a rug and marble a go!

DONT BULLY MY BLUE FLAMES--- I already changed it cause I got murdered by everyone on it so don't worry about this one !

Thanks a ton man! I really appreciate it !

• jaddeeb
    Update 24/7/2020 (Nighttime) :

Worked on more of composition and added a few stuff, played with SSS for candles, and spread the geo out and change the floor mat based on @Rurouni Strife 's recommendation! Good help man thankyou!
  • jaddeeb
    Looking for round 2 for roasts! 
    Update!

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    cool. Feeling a lot more alive.

The banner on the wall jumps out to me as being too white/bright. Just sort of demands attention from my eye, but I dont feel like its deserved. Maybe a touch of yellow and bring down brightness to be a little closer to teh scrolls would be nice?

also, regarding the banner, i dont think you should leave straight edges on it. I mean perfectly vertical sides. Probably if no lines in this scene are perfectly straight, that will feel nicer.

I really like the way light is working on the oven thing and the edge of the desk. The wax on candles looks pleasing too. Some good stuff happening here.
  • jaddeeb
    @Alex Javor you friggin legend, there you go. 

Anything you reckon I should screw with before calling this done?

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    i got nothing more I can say. looking really cool. This last batch looks like stills from a cutscene. I dunno the terminology but in film they have like "establishing shots" to get you grounded in a new place, set mood, character etc. This feels to me like it could be that, so I think that's really good.

edit: hey it might be worthwhile to leave the original images up in the first post. Always cool to see a scene come to life after repeated iterations.
  • jaddeeb
    My maaan thankyou <3 I really appreciate everything you've helped me with!

I'll post older pictures too!
  • icegodofhungary
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    I think the bricks in the back could be brightened up without messing up the scene. On my monitor it looks like mostly a void with some brick-like highlights. At least let the wall catch some of the light from the candle, if you don't make it lighter. I'm not sure why it's not already, I see a tiny bit of the candle light in the highlights of the brick outline. But it's almost like most of the brick is made of charcoal, it's just absorbing light and not bouncing back anything.
  • jaddeeb
    @icegodofhungary This would me the only decision I actually consciously made, the bricks would take a buttload of the attention and create unnecessary noise that would take away alot from the scene, I'll give your call another go nevetheless !
  • jaddeeb
    Thanks everyone for the mad help!! 

I've posted the project on my artstation would be great if I could get some support on there! 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/g20A48
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter