Home Career & Education

I Feel Like My Job Is Killing My Creativity...

Alander787
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Alander787 polycounter lvl 3
I just got a "dream job" at 3D-related company. It's good, I like it there, everything is great.
But when I get home and I want to do my 3D stuff, I just can't. It feels totally strange to me, I feel uninspired, I have no ideas for what should I create.

Do you guys know this feeling? What should I try to do?

Replies

• Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    when you get home have a rest, you alreadty made it:)
    I suggest you just practice a few techniques at home, nothing major until you feel like you can do it without being stressed.
    no one can work 24 hours a day, yuo need time to switch off
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I just got a "dream job" at 3D-related company. It's good, I like it there, everything is great.
    But when I get home and I want to do my 3D stuff, I just can't. It feels totally strange to me, I feel uninspired, I have no ideas for what should I create.

Do you guys know this feeling? What should I try to do?
    Maybe you've just shifted your focus from
     what you wanted from them  back then (the dream job?)
    to
     what they want from you now (doing your job)

Might not be the case but don't let them overwork you, even if that was part of the dream. 
    Also it may be the nature of the work. Most artists starting out may not get the interesting work, then again none of the work might be interesting and is usually always quite disconnected from what was expected of your portfolio. 

Sometimes I have found it helps to do personal work to balance commissioned work, though I make sure that it is on personal time.
    Usually it comes down to where you are in life, maybe there are other aspects to look into besides your personal art since all a job really comes down to is making money to make a living you didn't have before. 
  • Alander787
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to make my personal art, but the problem is that I feel totally uninspired and not able to even make something...I think that I maybe have to sort of "reignite" my creativity
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Watch anything that inspires you when you have a break. Or be inspired by others. Take a nap if you're tired. Put some good music and get to it. 
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Every time a bigger project is started in our Studio i take a break from Personal stuff. There is no room left in my brain todo both.
    After some weeks if the Project is running smoother i get back to my Personal stuff. Dont put to much pressure on yourself.
  • garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Ruz said:
    when you get home have a rest, you alreadty made it:)
    I suggest you just practice a few techniques at home, nothing major until you feel like you can do it without being stressed.
    no one can work 24 hours a day, yuo need time to switch off
    I agree with what Ruz said. If anything, though, just don't over-work yourself once you get home. 
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Try to give yourself some slack, power down occasionally there's time enough for personal stuff just take time out enjoying the experience doing the thing you've obviously worked hard toward achieving.
  • Alander787
    Offline / Send Message
    Really thank you all guys for the support! I feel like I might getting back to it again!
    Here's what I'm gonna model next! (just a rough sketch, needs more refinement)
    I would like to hear your critique and feedback.

It's supposed to be a demon huntresses revolver, both for ranged and melee combat.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Looks cool, duly sub'd : )