Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio feedback wanted.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
AustinLabarbera polycounter lvl 3
Hey everybody, 

I am currently finishing up grad school and have begun applying to jobs so I would like some feedback on my portfolio. My team and I are about a month away from finishing our capstone game and am also currently working on an environment scene I plan on having up in a few weeks. 

But here is my current portfolio: https://austinlabarbera.com/ 

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks everyone! 

- Austin 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    It's all really nice art. I can't say anything critical about any of it.

Only feedback I would make is maybe keep the text before the art very short, then show the art, then have the rest of the text.

Like:
    "
    I was the lead artist for this project:

art
    art
    art

Our workflow was like this... blah blah blah

"

• AustinLabarbera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for your feedback! 

I'll keep that in mind and see about changing that. That's something I have never been a fan of either.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    The tec9s barrel could use better optimization. The ship canon is very simple maybe it would be cool if you could make a small diorama out of it? Add some props and make it look like its a actual firing position on a old ship.
  • AustinLabarbera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input! I can see that with the barrel. I think I mostly left it the way it is to show I didn't have to use booleans to create the barrel. But a lot of geo can be saved. That's a good idea for the cannon!
  • Fernando Tejada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fernando Tejada polycounter lvl 6
    Honestly I wish my portfolio looked like this when I finished my "game art" studies. I'll drop some quick pointers I've seen from a quick glance through your works:

The gun looks pretty cool! maybe try to stay away from close-ups where you can clearly see the lowpoly, specially if that's not the target in-game camera. 

The Gas burner has pretty solid textures, I would like to see the wires aswell.

The Cannon is the weakest piece in your portfolio imho. The metal has weird roughness values, no rust or dust but very bumpy surface? I would try to get a real world reference and match that. I would also give a second pass to the wood textures and try to get a better composition for the scene like someone mentioned above. You could also just hide it, learn from it and move on to the next one :)

The photogrammetry assets is something very cool to have in your portfolio, specially for environment art. Same with the substance designer materials. Good job.
  • AustinLabarbera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Nandx! Looks like I should revisit the cannon. That's for all the awesome feedback!