Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Sculpt WIP (Looking for feedback)

Hi! This is a sculpt I'm currently working on I want to push it to be as realistic as possible, but as it now it looks more uncanny than realistic, and I can't figure out what part I need to work on to make it more human. So any pointers, feedback, and/or ideas would be very welcome!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'd further exaggerate the planes of the nose, for one.

And rereview that you're accounting for all bony landmarks of the face:
    https://www.artistsnetwork.com/art-subjects/portrait-figure/how-to-draw-bodies-lea-colie-wight/)

• tysiu
    Offline / Send Message
    tysiu keyframe
    Not a pro at this, but I will try to help a bit.

On the side view looks like the cheekbones are a bit too smoothed out, the area between the ear and eye looks flat. Also the nostril is flattened. I would also make a slightly bigger dent under the lower lip.

On the front the eyes and nose are too big. That might be coz the nose is pretty wide at the beginning.

On 3/4 the cheeks are maybe a tad sunken, again defining the cheekbones might fix that. The eyebrow bone looks flat too, it should stick out more where the eyebrow arches are.
    I dunno if I described it well, here's a picture of what I mean.

I have a question. Do you use references for the face, or are you just sculpting from imagination? Especially at the beginning it's better to make studies like that based on something that already exists. Inventing a human face from zero usually ends up in uncanny valley.
  • ButtUnicorn
    tysiu said:
    Not a pro at this, but I will try to help a bit.

On the side view looks like the cheekbones are a bit too smoothed out, the area between the ear and eye looks flat. Also the nostril is flattened. I would also make a slightly bigger dent under the lower lip.

On the front the eyes and nose are too big. That might be coz the nose is pretty wide at the beginning.

On 3/4 the cheeks are maybe a tad sunken, again defining the cheekbones might fix that. The eyebrow bone looks flat too, it should stick out more where the eyebrow arches are.
    I dunno if I described it well, here's a picture of what I mean.

I have a question. Do you use references for the face, or are you just sculpting from imagination? Especially at the beginning it's better to make studies like that based on something that already exists. Inventing a human face from zero usually ends up in uncanny valley.
    Thanks a lot! I've stared myself blind, so these pointers really help. I do use references but I'm quite new to human anatomy in general so I find it really hard to process them and apply them to my sculpt, I can see somethings wrong but find it hard to find the specific issue :)
  • tysiu
    Offline / Send Message
    tysiu keyframe
    Yeah, I know the pain. It gets better over time, the more faces you'll make the easier it will go. Good luck!
  • ButtUnicorn
    I'd further exaggerate the planes of the nose, for one.

And rereview that you're accounting for all bony landmarks of the face:
    https://www.artistsnetwork.com/art-subjects/portrait-figure/how-to-draw-bodies-lea-colie-wight/)

Thank you! The main planes of the head image are going to be very useful, it's a lot easier to study the surfaces when they point out the key points! I will defiantly iterate on the nose, thanks a lot! :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Asaro Planar Head model will be more clear for you to study from.