Home Technical Talk

How to remap texture to the edited UV?

XzY
XzY
node
Offline / Send Message
XzY node
Hello. There is such a problem:
for example, there is a model with UV and texture, but we need to add another object on UV. Or you just need to give more space to some shell. But the texture is already there. How to do this without redoing  the texture?

This allows you to adjust the texture to suit the modified UV.
But this is only for older versions of 3Dmax. And there were no updates :(
Maybe someone knows a similar program, or maybe there is another way to solve such a problem?
I know that a substance-painter can fit a texture to a modified UV. But this only applies to the texture made in the substance-painter, and you need to draw only in the 3D window.

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Render to texture in max should still let you transfer texture data between UV channels (I've not used anything later than 2019 though). 
    It won't account for rotated uvs and normals though AFAIK. 

Substance designer can do it too - not 100% if it's possible between UV channels on the same object in this case but it will handle rotated UVs
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Maybe I misunderstand, but you can bake the textures from one model to another. It's possbile in Marmoset Toolbag and I believe is also possible in the Substance bakers. This is usually faster and easier than doing the transfer manually.

So basically this is what you can do:

Model A has the textures you want
    Model B has different UV layout and needs Model A's textures

So you just set up your bake like usual where Model A is the source and B is the target. Then you are transferring the albedo and whatever other maps are applied to A.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    To be clear, you can't just bake a normal map from one mesh to another as its a standard texture because a (tangent space) normal map containts orientation info that is relative to the orientation of the uv shell, relative to the uvmap. That being said, baking other types of maps should be no problem in the most of softwares.
  • XzY
    Offline / Send Message
    XzY node
    Thank you for your answers. 
    But I ask what to do in such a situation, when the texture is drawn manually in Photoshop. 
    Of course. If you bake polypaint from high poly or draw in 3D Cout, or Substance-painter.  You can bake the texture on the modified UV. But if you painted your  texture entire in Photoshop, then you have to either redraw the texture under the new UV, or manually combine your old texture with the new UV.
     I am wondering if there is any other way to do this other than manually. (Maybe you know plugins similar to thet I brought here).
    And I ask only about the diffuse map. I know that normal cannot be combined in this way. It can be re-baked from high poly. And that will be the right decision. 
    But what to do with the texture entirely drawn in Photoshop? And I do not know what to do in this case.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The suggestions above will all work 
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    it's irrelevant where you do the texture . Re-baking from one object to another copy with modified UV    or form one UV channel to another UV channel of same object works in every  3d soft.

IN Blender:
    1. Add another UV channel and edit it to what you need
    2 . While this new UV channel selected in the list keep camera/render mark on the first original one.
    4. bake the texture. 
    5. remove initial UV channel  
    that's it       For normal maps it fixes rotation or flipping automatically .

it could work same way for mult-object selecting    but you have to keep in mind that it would bake one object after another consequently   and a next object  padding may overlap UV space of previous one