Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(FINISHED) Sci-Fi Soldier + Lewis Gun

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
IvanChanCL polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys!

I don't post on polycount often, but I should!

For the past few months I have been taking a course with CGMA called characters for Films and Cinematics with Pete Zoppi and I could not recommend this course more. It is an amazing course and Pete was really helpful with everything.

Hair was done in XGEN and all renders in Arnold.
Skin and displacement were done with mudbox and zbrush with the help of Texturing XYZ assets.
All the hard surface modelling done in Maya.
Clothes were first drafted in marvelous designer, then maya for retopo. Then after sculpted with zbrush.

course can be found here:
https://www.cgmasteracademy.com/courses/10-character-creation-for-film-cinematics

Artstation post here:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w6AqrV

Replies

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    This is gorgeous mate!
  • tysiu
    Offline / Send Message
    tysiu keyframe
    My god, the skin, the hair. It's crazy good.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Very attractive work! Right down to the nitty gritty. ;)
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Head and torso dont work together at all head looks like its planted
    I have few suggestion for you to try and resolve this issues :
    - paint darker color opening of the armor or make it matte so it doesnt reflect light as much
    -reduce lightness of the armor
    - give him a thicker legs
    - try rotating eyes inward slightly so he doesnt look as if hes hypnotize
    -use photo filter to unify colors I used some orange you can use whatever you like

• Gussketchbook
    Offline / Send Message
    Gussketchbook polycounter lvl 2
    Skin looks a bit like waxy, way to hard. You might need to up the SSS. Or add in a little bit more red in the cavities. 
  • MillyP
    This is really fantastic :) I especially love the attention to detail on the stray hairs, fibres and subtle hues around the eyes.  What would you say are your biggest take-aways from the experience? 
  • IvanChanCL
    Offline / Send Message
    IvanChanCL polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks guys will definitely keep all the advice for the next project!

@MillyP - I definitely should've used less texture maps for the character. A lot of the pouches on the body are their own texture map when in reality they did not need to be at all. This just caused both maya and substance painter to slow down a lot. At first I thought this would be the better option so I could just adjust levels and HSL in the material shader in maya, but since I prefer to use substance painter for any changes it didn't matter in the end.

Also another takeaway would be that making a game ready character vs a film ready character have a lot of similarities and differences and trade-offs. For example xgen is a blast to use, but it also takes forever to render in Arnold and has a lot of weird bugs in maya. Screenshots also take a very long time to render. However, making a real time asset you get your screenshots pretty much instantly.