Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIPs - 3D assets for a Horror hobby game.

Hello and good day. Posting WIPs here and will continue to post some more along the way . Any feedback /comment/ advice is very much appreciated. Thanks and stay safe.image

Replies

• Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Hey :)
    What kind of horror game is it and do you have informations about the plot?

Hmm in terms of the assets, the crowbar looks very bloody and used compared to the axe.  I would reduce the blood on the crowbar but just on the middle handle part to create a better readable object.

• VintageWarm
    Thanks for the advice. Will keep this in mind and do the edits. As for the plot, the player basically must solve a massacre case. Our team writer is still in the process of furthering the plot.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    The reflections on the ax head look weird. Kind of like the smoothing groups are messed up. Can we see a screenshot of the ax's low-res model without textures?
  • VintageWarm
    Here is the axe in poly, did boolean on the edges so that it would reflect some curvature detail in substance painter. Any advise in retopo/ optimizing polys would be great and would really help me in workflow. Thanks. LINK: https://imgur.com/a/Cm2IgvX
  • Dihemi
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    The "reflective smear" on your axe's edge could probably be resolved by properly triangulating that large n-gon before baking. What likely happened is; Substance painter resolved that n-gon on his own, baked a normal map accordingly and said map doesn't match your low's own triangulated interpretation (it seems it connected the most far reaching corners). It's a good idea to triangulate before baking regardless.

Hope it helps.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Since you beveled the edges your smoothing groups are probably fine. I agree with Dihemi, the N-gons (any polygon with more than 4 faces) might be the problem. Here are a couple of ways you can divide things up into quads:

And here are a couple of edge flow guides you can keep as reference 

Also, I highly recommend using a shiny material while modeling curvy objects like this. I like a simple dark grey for the color and the gloss turned up to med-high. A nice specular highlight can really tell you a lot about the curvature of a surface and help find any vertexes that are out of alignment.

Oh, and one last thing. You may have gone a little overboard with the edge beveling (boolean). It looks like you have 3 bevels on most edges, when you probably only need single bevels for the ax head and none really for the handle. It's not that big of a problem, but keep it in mind for your next project. I know polygon count is becoming less and less of an issue in games, but knowing how to model efficiently without a lot of unnecessary geometry is still going to be a valuable skill for a while.
  • VintageWarm
    Thanks so much for the advice and the subdiv guide. I really appreciate all of these and I'm saving these as notes. I will apply them to my workflow. Have a nice day and stay safe.  =)