Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hollow Knight Fan Projects 2020! Thread

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
GabrielCardinal polycounter lvl 3
SO I've been really into Hollow Knight, and been having fun emulating its style, a refreshing one with such thick lines utilized. I'm also very excited for Silksong. So as practice, and for Fun, I'm going to be doing a Bunch of art in the style, themes, and my own spin on Hollow Knight creatures. All of them custom, whether they're Higher Beings, NPC's, friends or Enemies.
If you have any questions or Suggestions for Hollow Knight Themes I could explore, DM or Email me at GabeDCard@Gmail.com

Replies

• GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

First fan creation are enemies Known as Holy Husks! I really like the imagery in-game, millions of empty bug husks that makes up the walls, floors, and ceilings all throughout the world. You see shells that are big, small, and Fossilized. I'd like to explore that aspect through religious zeal. People talk so much about SOUL, but not a lot about the HUSKS that are literal building blocks of society. Perhaps this church worships the shell of every bug itself, as they were blessing given by higher beings.
    Playing around with more contemporary angelic themes sounds fun.
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

Up Next is an Area that surrounds an Ancient, but still warm Corpse, known as ALLHIVE. I appreciate how Hollow Knight doesn't just feed us lore on a silver platter, it gives us parts that wee need to put together, resting on implications rather than absolutes. Why does it still glow, leak honey, and radiate warmth after all this time? Why is so big?Was this Built? What was it fighting against? Seems very Cosmically Unknowable, something to uncover partially, but never entirely.
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

You always see these giant husks in the background environments, I would love to see some living breathing bug giants! I Imagine these would be like very passive tramways, which are always on the move, so you have to check the time of day before hoping on. a Moving environment, were townships and secrets could be found on each one.
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

Crustaceans and Insects have a lot in common! Here are some common NPC's you might find in a Hollow Knight area that contains harbors, shores and Seas! Even Bodies of water have bugs in them too.
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

In some Team Cherry Development vlogs, there's drafting for an area called "Carnival of Crustaceans" SO here are some unique NPC's you could find in these circus Areas!
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

The Really fun mysteries in Hollow Knight are the "Higher Beings." Unn, the Lady in White, The Radiance, all unique, some forgotten, but Their influences are so prevalent in the locations in Hollow Knight.
    Base on The Jewel Caterpillar, aka what the Pokemon Snom is based off of.
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

Another Higher Being! Centipedes should have been more prominent in Hollow Knight. I Imagine you'd do some type of sacred cosmic quest for her, her being secluded similar to the Lady in White, but with a hidden palace with servants and the like. I would LOVE if there were more active Higher Beings in the game, ones to interact/fight/quest  at.
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

Now for an Enemy! This would be a Vanguard type of enemy, protecting an area in my Head Known as "The Scuttling Grave" A vast, mobile Graveyard on the back off an ancient Millipede. This one is much closer to actual "Game Concept Art" which ironically I went to college for. Its all Circular I guess!
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

Shopkeer NPC's Based on Roly Polys (Pillbug)
    I imagine, like the Baldur Bugs, roll around carrying their wares. In the game you could mail, or receive mail that contains quests. They can sell charms, items, power-ups, you name it! Depending on the shopkeeper they'd have different items. 
    Iffff there was multiplayer you could do the weird Animal Crossing mailing system as well, sending invites to other players.
    I also Based these on an Adoptable I bought! First time in doing it, and man is it worth it.
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

I really feel like the Fluke Worms in Hollow Knight didn't get enough spotlight. After the game, I think The Dung Defender left the waterways and actually took the fluke worms along. The Fluke Hermit is so endearing, even if she doesn't say much.

Fluke Hero is short of my response to the Flukemarm boss fight. I feel kinda bad to just hitting a stationary enemy.

I imagine the fight would be similar to The False Knight Battle, only his weapon is used to shoot out flukefeys. Flukemons would shoot out of the ground like spikes, and she could swing it around, leaving a spray of little little flukes behinds.

After Leaving Hallownest, the Flukes probably founded an Cavernous Township, constructing a castle. A place to protect the grubs, and pass down the ways of Knighthood that Dung Defender.

She'll continue to train the other flukes, acting as the matriarch in place of FlukeMarm.

I want her to be a fight like Hornets and Mantis Lords, not actually killing her, but instead as a way to unlock a new area.

I should definitely draw the dung defender as well, maybe as an old teacher.

I just hope we see at least a few old characters in SilkSong
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

I just wanted an excuse of drawing dung defender, and a snapshot of Fluke Hermits early days post-Radiance. I think Dung Defender would relocate some of the Flukes to Isma's grove as a sanctuary, perhaps a majority of them gains Isma's Tear to survive. They also spent time learning about the piping & mechanisms of the waterway, increasing their mechanical skills.

And Bretta! Years traversing the Wilderness after disappointment from Zote and The Vessel, She became stronger and stronger, becoming a Knight herself!
    I imagine a fights with her need quick reflexes, probably some of the fight is based on The Player vessels moveset.
    I Just wanna See Bretta find happiness!  She'd probably have more confidence, flirting with people rather than writing fanfic diary entries.
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

Hollow Knight Charm Meme!
    You Pick Three Charms, and make bugs from there.
    A Great design exercise, plus I have like 35 more requests so I'll never run out of bug ideas!
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

SO this is still Hollow Knight related, but I'd think it be neat if there are remnants of a war long, long ago, that effectively made Insects,  the dominant race. Mammals and things of such ilk were defeated, and only the orphans of annihilation remain.
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

Hollow Knight Custom Charms! Fun to make up effects, and I deffo need to work on prop/game item design.
  • GabrielCardinal
    Offline / Send Message

Some More Bug Npc's! It sounds like there are going to be multiple towns/cities, So I'd love to see more bug types represented. Most of the designs on hollow knight seem to be abstractions of actual bugs, So i'd like more specific designs.