Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Marvelous Boot question

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
g_osorio polycounter lvl 3
Hey polycount! Thank you in advance for lending me some of your time.

So I'm working on this realistic character, and I'm having trouble making a part of a boot.

This is where I'm at now:

I want to add this little piece to the top of the boot:

Every time I try to do it, it comes out like this when it doesnt bug and the simulation starts going nuts. I'm probably using the wrong technique or tool as in the example it looks much more clean than mine :anguished:

Hopefully somebody can point out what I'm doing wrong, as I'm very new to MD.

Sorry for bothering you and thank you!

Replies

• g_osorio
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw, the image I'm using as reference is from PengChengYang on artstation- https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lVV2Ra
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    you might have an easier time adding that part in outside of marvelous. not like it has complex folds you need to replicate right.

if you are intent on doing it in marvelous, block it out in your 3d app first and then import it as a garment (and trace UV pattern from UV's)

this is my go to workflow nowadays as it saves so much of the headache of setting up patterns in marvelous. gets you straight to the simulation.

also for technical questions like this you'll probably get more eyes by putting it in the technical talk forum

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What material preset and what is the pattern flat for your pants?  I've been meaning to recreate that on my end.
  • g_osorio
    Offline / Send Message
    you might have an easier time adding that part in outside of marvelous. not like it has complex folds you need to replicate right.

if you are intent on doing it in marvelous, block it out in your 3d app first and then import it as a garment (and trace UV pattern from UV's)

this is my go to workflow nowadays as it saves so much of the headache of setting up patterns in marvelous. gets you straight to the simulation.

also for technical questions like this you'll probably get more eyes by putting it in the technical talk forum

Thank you for your answer!
    I was wondering why my post wasn't getting that much attention. I should've really posted there.
    I was thinking about doing a sculpt, but I'm trying to get familiarized with the whole MD Zbrush pipeline and wanted to learn from MD as much as possible. 

I managed to do it, I just chose the respective sewing and under "Sewing Line Type" I switched to turned.
    I gotta pay attention to where I post my stuff ahah :D

Hey Brian, I did a basic pant layout, like this http://en.inthemoodforcouture.com/drafting-the-trousers-pattern-12/. I used the normal fabric preset. The way I created those folds was just by trial and error, moving the fabrics up and down until the folds were to my liking.

Thank you and sorry for the late reply!