Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ana Carolina's Sculpting Sketchbook

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
AnaCarolinaPereira polycounter lvl 7
Hello there!

I have recently begun working on a crocodile for an upcoming VR experience.
It is in the early stages, but I still want to get as much critique as I can. Please tell me what you think!

I look forward to sharing more of my progress with you. This is my first time posting on Polycount, so I'm excited to having other artists help me on my journey.

Replies

• AnaCarolinaPereira
    Offline / Send Message

Here is another WIP. I did a texture test to see if the anatomy was holding up at all. This model has been used in a prototype, but I am going to redo a lot of it.
    Critiques are welcome!
  • AnaCarolinaPereira
    Offline / Send Message
    TUESDAY STUDIES - WEEK 1
    ANATOMY SPEEDSCULPT

Due to my streaming, I have accidentally created a huge library of speed sculpts. I'll be posting them here as I render them (I just got Keyshot and have no idea what I am doing, haha).

• AnaCarolinaPereira
    Offline / Send Message
    TUESDAY STUDIES - WEEK 2
    ANATOMY SPEEDSCULPT

• AnaCarolinaPereira
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragon Piece WIP

I am currently in the process of refining this piece I made during the Zbrush 2020 Beta Testing:

The first thing I'm adding are the dragon's babies (this was part of the original scope, but I had to delay it due to the original deadline). The babies will improve the storytelling factor of the piece!

Baby WIP:

Parent T-Pose: 

Good Feedback I got:

These are things I would like to ideally work on (I don't know how many of them I'll get to before calling this piece done)

- More color variation + better patterns
    - Make composition more clear
    - Vegetation
    - Scatter small rocks around
    - Increase rock texture resolution
    - Improve the way roughness looks on the belly scales
    - Add background (or at least make backdrop more interesting)
    - Overall more color green
    - Make their paws more grounded 

• bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hey Ana, great piece so far! I saw your story asking for feedback, now I stumbled across your forum post. I wish to elaborate some more on my composition critique. 

Design fundamentals are not something I excel at, but in the past couples months I've come to realize how important they are in all facets of an art piece. Including composition. I hope to offer some decent feedback while I learn myself.

Here's a little paintover I did to illustrate the action lines. Right now they feel a little haywire, I believe you need stronger leading lines and a focus point for the eyes to rest. I'm sure you've seen Maria Panfilova's summit presentation, she provides some wonderful insight into her thought process for building a composition.

• AnaCarolinaPereira
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixologic Stream - Kitbash using the Creature Pack

I created this piece in record time using the Creature Pack, a collection of really cool IMM brushes from Pablo Munoz Gomez (ZbrushGuides). All the profits from this pack go to the CFA (Country Fire Authority) to battle the Australian bush fires. I had the honor to collab with Pablo and many other amazing artists to create this pack!

Creature Pack:
    https://www.zbrushguides.com/creature-pack-to-support-the-australian-cfa/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyhpUtzcigU
  • AnaCarolinaPereira
    Offline / Send Message
    Timelapse - "Observational Skills in Art" Livestream

This 3-hour stream was focused on discussing Observational skills - why they matter, techniques, how to reach higher accuracy in your sculptures. We broke down the human body into simple shapes, paid attention to negative space and proportion, etc.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/579086657 
  • AnaCarolinaPereira
    Offline / Send Message
    Mermaid - 1

To relax from other more complex pieces, I am making a character from a story I wrote a long time ago.

The idea is to create a diorama-style scene of the death of the character, a mermaid, floating in a shallow pond, clutching her chest which is pierced by an arrow. The goal is to create a delicate piece, that skirts the line between beauty and discomfort.

To speed up the process, I am using a scanned base mesh for the first time! It has served me pretty well. Where I bought it: https://www.3dscanstore.com/

• AnaCarolinaPereira
    Offline / Send Message
    Great Dane study from one of my Pixologic ZbrushLIVE streams.
    Sculpted and rendered with Zbrush.

Artstation Post 

• AnaCarolinaPereira
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on this T-Rex!

I think the skin and overall shapes are pretty much done, now I just have to wrap up the eyes and pose, then render! 
    I can't decide if I want to do a simple BPR render, or throw it in substance painter to add roughness variations and AO on the skin.
  • AnaCarolinaPereira
    Offline / Send Message
    Lil goblin speed sculpt done for one of the weekly challenges on my Discord.

1.5 hours of sculpting without reference, just because I wanted to see if I could pull it off (reference is good, though).