Home Technical Talk

Best 3d modelling software for Sketchup and AutoCAD lover

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello all,
I am starting to learn game design and am looking to model some fairly angular, usually static, 3d objects, probably for use on the Unity engine. I am not an artist so I'll stick to indie game style assets like buildings and street scene objects to start with, something like the assets in Cities Skylines.
I have used AutoCAD for my work for many years and love the precision and interface but I don't own a personal copy.
I have used SketchUp for fun and love its simplicity, intuitiveness and appearance.
I used Revit at college and was impressed by the final result but wasn't enamoured with the process
I have tried modelling in Blender but it seems overkill for what I need and I don't like the lack of precision (perhaps just the way I'm using it though). I think I am mathematically inclined rather than artistic.
My questions:
1. Is there anything wrong with creating assets in SketchUp and exporting to .fbx file format?
2. Can anyone recommend a software like Sketchup or AutoCad that might be better suited to the task? Even better if its free as SketchUp is not quite free.
Thanks

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    TameAim said:
    1. Is there anything wrong with creating assets in SketchUp and exporting to .fbx file format?
    No idea what this means?

Now if you're on a budget, then I'd advise taking another look at Blender. There's a number of 'CAD' like tools available both embedded or third party:

...or try FreeCAD
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SketchUp is a bit notorious in both archviz and gamedev worlds, for generating terrible meshes. Duplicate vertices, bad normals, etc.

Blender is indeed worth another look.

However you may also prefer the halfway-CAD workflow of 3ds Max; worth a serious look.
  • TameAim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips. I'll have a look at the add-ons listed above for blender and FreeCAD.

Sorry for being so general with question 1 but without knowing what the issues with SketchUp models might have it was difficult to be specific (i.e. output performance, quality, etc.).

I'd love to have a go at 3ds Max but out my budget unfortunately.
  • TameAim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Additional question:
    - If I was to create the majority of my assets in FreeCAD, in the obj file format (I understand this is preferable to dxf).
    - And then I created some animated assets in Blender (fbx)
    1. Would there be significant inconsistency in the appearance of the fbx and obj objects?
    2. Or does the modelling process itself not have that much affect on final appearance? Meaning texturing and geometry consistency are the only significant design appearance variables?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show screenshots of the models you are making. Both shaded, and shaded with wireframe overlay.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    In addition, although I'm not that familiar with the app so I'd also suggest checking out FreeCADs forum for user file import/export info, as well. Plus other than drag and drop from Blender > Unity using a .fbx format shouldn't present any noticeable issues.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The difference between obj and fbx is in what features the format supports. - Fbx supports far more features than obj

If you make an uncomplicated model (ie something that is just a collection of triangles with UVs) then there will be no difference. 

If you make something that relies on features that obj doesn't support (Eg. Explicit tangent/binormal information, bones, skinning information etc.) then you'll see that the result can be quite different.

Also have you considered fusion360? That's free and appears to be relatively similar to autocad - it seems to remesh for fbx pretty well based on my recent testing.