Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First model textured in substance painter -- Guidance well appreciated!

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Pretty good so far. It could use a rim light and an image-based-lighting sphere to get some reflections and show off what you have done with the roughness layer. Right now it's hard to tell if there is even much of a roughness layer.
    Also that T-junction where the beam that's holding up the globe meets the table's ring could use a seam or some constructional details, like screws or some plates and bolts like below. I have a hard time believing that they were seamlessly carved from one piece of wood.

It looks like you are trying to do some ageing on the wood, but I think you could take it a bit further. Like adding a little more dust and grime in the crevasses, and in the spots around the edges where the varnish is getting worn/chipped off the exposed wood underneath could be a lot lighter.
    Finally, the empty tables and could use something extra to make the entire prop more interesting. They feel very blank and bare right now. You could add something simple like mythological or astrological charts like the image above. Or you could add some extra details or even extra props to tell a little story. Maybe the globe is a secret alcohol cabinet at a frat house and it just saw a crazy party. Maybe it's a night stand for a retired adventurer and it helps remind him of his glory days, but also holds his reading glasses and prescription meds. Or it could belong to a magic professor and it holds his defense against the dark arts text books, but also hides a dangerous secret within. Just some ideas to spice up your prop.
  • June
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    June node
    Thank you so much for pointing out the flaws with detailed guidance!! I am getting a better understanding on many of the concepts after every tiny step of practice. I will take your feedback and work on it more for sure. By the way, as I get more comfortable with the software tools and so many of the concepts, it is becoming lots of joy to keep improving on the details  :) Especially with an expert guide like you supervising!