Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mac-10 critique

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Babsam polycounter lvl 3
Hi Polycount!
I finished modelling and texturing mac 10 and I would like to hear what do you think about it :) .

Replies

• fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    It's a pretty accurate and faithful recreation of a mac 10 but the texturing could use more work.

There's the technical stuff like the plastic texture tiling being visible, and everything feeling "low-res-ish",etc

But I think that's just minor nit picky stuff that's kinda easy to solve

The main issue with the model is the texture's being bland. And I think they're bland because good up close references of used mac 10s are hard to come by.

Rock Island Auctions's.... auctions and other gun auction sites, tend to have some really high quality images of guns. Some really nice high quality jpegs with all the grease, splashes, marks,etc all in full display ready for you to replicate in substance painter

Good luck <3
  • Babsam
    Offline / Send Message
    Babsam polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks man for the feedback. I will take another look at the textures. :)
  • Babsam
    Offline / Send Message
    Babsam polycounter lvl 3
    So I'm trying to rework the textures, any thoughts? :) 
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Well the metal doesnt look like metal. I cant tell you how to fix it because idk your material setup, but i suggest starting with lowering the roughness and see what you get.
    Also increase metallic, at least on the edges.
  • Tiggis
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiggis triangle

I feel like you can push the textures a bit more, like it could use more roughness variation break up the surface. You should also play around with the blending modes on your layers too, especially when it comes with roughness and maybe even colors too. That plastic grip could use one or two layers of white noise to make it stand out a bit more in the roughness and color variation. Suppressor and fabric could also use more color and roughness variation, maybe some slight brushed lines on the Suppressor too. Some slight contrast and grease wouldn't hurt either to add.

• fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    It's a massive improvement from the first but like everyone else already pointed it, it needs to be less rough, and have a bit more roughness variation

Oh and, this might come in handy with the stamped text.

• Babsam
    Offline / Send Message
    Babsam polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks guys for feedback :) , I lowered the roughness, I tried to add more roughness variation, I guess I fixed the grip now, I also increased roughness and added slight tint of grey color to the suppressor, I thought it was a good idea tell me what you think and I used the video above for the stamped text ---it looks a lot better thanks :).

but I'm still having problems with the fabric. I used just the smart material from substance and made some adjustments to it and now I tried to add some roughness variation but I don't know what to think about it.